1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

End of the Season Uglies (knots, ect) kills maul

Post in 'The Gear' started by Biff_CT2, Nov 30, 2010.

1. Biff_CT2

Biff_CT2 Member

Loc:
    Central CT
    Couple of end of the season oak knots killed my Craftsman 6lb maul - never had a head split on me before.

Regardless, I can't seem to get more than 2-3 cords out of these things. Fortunately, Sears still replaces mauls and wedges here free of charge.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cmonSTART

cmonSTART Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Antrim, NH
    Wow. I've never seen that before.
  3. bboulier

bboulier Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Virginia
    Yikes! That's scary.
  4. Elim

Elim Member

Loc:
    Putnam County, WV
    Wow! That is something else. Sears sells Fiskars Super Splitter Axes. Might grab one of them while your there.
  5. wkpoor

wkpoor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Amanda, OH
    I secind the motion on the Fiskars..........or better yet attach a cylinder to that edge hehehehe.
  6. yooperdave

yooperdave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan's U.P.
    i've had and been using my husquvarna orange handled maul since 1984...it was free with my rancher 61 saw. quite a few seasons, eh?
  7. mach1john

mach1john Member

Loc:
    eastern maine
    I have one of those Husky mauls also. Its at least that old! Still works great!
  8. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    Were you beating on it with a sledge, or did it just break while you were swinging it?
  9. southbound

southbound Minister of Fire

Loc:
    mid south tn
    +1
  10. Biff_CT2

Biff_CT2 Member

Loc:
    Central CT
    Nope, the SOB just let go on me while I was beating on a wedge.

You should see the mushroom head on the wedge (heh, heh, heh...) That sucker sheds shrapnel routinely - which is why I keep the kids clear and wear safety glasses.

I gotta say though, it did much better than the 2 8lb mauls from Home Depot that I broke during the summer. The Home Depot 8lb mauls with the black and yellow handles are pretty to look at, but completely useless as tools as far as I'm concerned.

Hadn't thought to check out the Husquevarma or Husky mauls.

I've got an old Stanley China-built 8lb head that needs a new handle that I can resurrect as well.
  11. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    never seen that happen before.
  12. Soundslikejosh

Soundslikejosh New Member

Loc:
    Indiana
    Personally I'd move on if you keep breaking Craftsman mauls. This is a more serious issue than just "having to replace it". One of these times you could be injured pretty bad. Same goes for the mushroomed wedge you brag about. It is good that you get your kids out of the way... but who buys the groceries when Dad is off work recovering...or worse?

I hope my first post doesn't come across as rude. Just trying to look out for fellow man.
  13. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I'm with you on the serious issue being how often he has to replace it. either they are crap mauls or you are doing it wrong. I broke a few handles when I was learning with my 6lber, but It and my 8 look like new after 6 cords+ on the handles (6lber head probably only has 12 cord on it). But I don't use mine to pound on anything except maybe felling wedges and rusted on brake rotors.
  14. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Safety glasses are not going to save your life if shrapnel goes through your juglar or your throat. Grind the mushrooming off.
  15. lobsta1

lobsta1 Member

Loc:
    Eastern Ma.
    I just want to know how you get the picture that tiny?
    Al
  16. RustyShackleford

RustyShackleford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NC
    I've had the same maul for decades; can't recall where I bought it.

I used to break the wooden handle every year or two, then fiberglass
    handles came along and I just replaced my first one after 10+ years.
    However, my hands have been bothering me (I also rock climb), so
    I got another maul with a wooden handle. I can't believe how much
    less shock/vibration it transmits to the hands. So my policy now is
    to use the fiberglass-handled one when I'm beating a wedge (I think
    that's when the wooden handles are most likely to get damaged,
    when you mis-strike a wedge), and use the wooden-handled one
    otherwise. Fortunately my wood tends to be split-able enough, and
    my technique good enough, then I rarely need the wedge, and then
    only for the first split (of a round into two halves).

I hope the head of my new wooden-handled one is up to snuff, but
    since theoretically I won't be striking a wedge with it, it should
    hopefully be ok.

My wedge is pretty mushroomed though - guess I should get a new one.
  17. Biff_CT2

Biff_CT2 Member

Loc:
    Central CT

I've just finished spliiting for the season. Great day for it - it's been around freezing and sunny here, so it's warm while working in direct sunlight. My new (replacement) 6lb Carftsman maul got me through about a half face-cord of knots and trash leftovers. I've got two mushroom'd out wedges that I'll be taking back to Sears when I've got some time.

I do agree with the comments on here about taking wedges too far between grindings, they make sense.

I'm interested in your thoughts on returning to wood handles on my sledge and maul. My hands always throb after a few hours of beating on wedges, though I hadn't until reading your post associated it with the fiberglass handle on my Craftsman maul.

My last wooden handle replacement failed - the head started rocking after about a half a cord, and I ended up breaking the necked portion as I hadn't seated the handle far enough into the head. Do you file the neck of the handle to get it all the way down into the maul head? Would like to see a picture of a replacement handle prior to cutting it down and seating the keepers in the head.

I've got a sledge and a maul handle replacement to do during the off-season, and I wanted to use take them both as an opportunity to show my boys how to do a handle replacement job properly. It's also a good lesson for them in being thrifty.
  18. Danno77

Danno77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hamilton, IL
    I'm glad to finally read that someone else thinks that. I know I've posted it before, but I read so many posts about fg handles being "easier on the joints" that I just figured maybe I was crazy.
  19. midwestcoast

midwestcoast Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Indiana
    I haven't used fiberglass handled mauls, so no idea if there's a difference. I wonder if a few layers of rubber tape would help the vibes?
  20. bboulier

bboulier Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    NE Virginia
    I got a Fiskar's super splitter this year in order to split a large maple felled in our yard. It has been a terrific tool. Have been gradually turning the tree into firewood every weekend. Today was the first time that I had to go back to a maul with wooden handles and two wedges. These were two branches that were pretty twisty.. The Fiskar's just bounced off. The maul worked well - enjoyed the cracking sound of the wood. Once the branch was split in half, the Fiskars's worked pretty well in further subdivisions.
  21. RustyShackleford

Loc:
    NC
    I'm glad for the heads-up here about the dangers, although I always wear eye-pro when hitting steel against steel.
    Like I said, I rarely use wedges, and I'm sure that's harder on your hands (than hitting wood with the splitting side) regardless of the handle type.
    I haven't replaced a wooden handle since the Reagan administration. But for sure you want the end of the handle to come flush with the far side of the hole in the maul head, whatever it takes to make that happen. The fiberglass one that I replaced recently included some special kind of "striking tool" epoxy, and it seems to have worked pretty well thus far. Might be worth trying to find some for doing your wooden one.
  22. savageactor7

savageactor7 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CNY
    Holy Cow.

Still using an old 'true temper' 6 lb maul we got in the 70's, splitting elm we banged on it thousand of times with the sledge to with no mushrooming. Check out estate sales for older tools that were properly heat treated. I'm so rough on handles I buy 'em 2 at a time.
  23. RustyShackleford

Loc:
    NC
    You bang on the maul with the sledge ?
  24. ISeeDeadBTUs

ISeeDeadBTUs Guest

Using a 6# maul to drive a wedge?!? Now that's just . . . :shut:

A splitting maul should be used for splitting, not driving wedges. And how do you expect to actually drive a wedge with only 6#?

For driving a wedge, a 16# is perfect. Keep a 12# around for use as the day progresses. A 6# splitter is useless.
  25. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    rolled over edges on wedges.
    Really ?

I have some really old ones and they don't have a hint of mushrooming at all.

An axe or two that shouldnever have been used to whack one I have some mushrooming on but not wedges.