End Products of Combustion...CO2, H2O and ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Phoenix Hatchling

Minister of Fire
Dec 26, 2012
New Fairfield, CT
I had recently posed this question in another thread, but the debate which was in progress kind of caused the post to get lost in the sauce. So here we are again!

My father was outside hanging some laundry and called me outside because of an off smell. The smell I detected was what I had found when my stove was burning hot and cleanly, no visible smoke or steam from the stack. Definitely chemical aroma in nature. Never gave it much thought as to what it was I was smelling. I thought it to be from the superheated metals. He referred to it in German as being called Karbol. Said it was a very potent disinfectant and had to be careful with it. Trying to find a translation, I could only come up with phenol or carbolic acid. Is this a by-product of burning cycle of an EPA stove as the gases and particulates re-burn? Is THAT in and of itself dangerous/toxic?

https://www.epa.gov/burnwise/wood-smoke-and-your-health

I would also surmise that the make up of smoke is also a product of the environment in which the tree grew. Plants are wonderful filters and whatever compounds they take up have to be released somewhere. As to Karbol, your correct that a search turned up phenol, a translation of the Karbol cleaner also turned up citronella oil. Both of which are aromatic hydrocarbons. Look at the link on the page for PAHs for further explanations.

Last edited:
That chemical/metallic smell is the smell of burning cleanly . . . it doesn't quite bring back those childhood memories of a woodstove with that distinctive wood smoke smell . . . but burning cleanly without producing gobs of creosote makes it a nicer smell in my opinion.

Reactions: webby3650
That chemical/metallic smell is the smell of burning cleanly . . . it doesn't quite bring back those childhood memories of a woodstove with that distinctive wood smoke smell . . . but burning cleanly without producing gobs of creosote makes it a nicer smell in my opinion.

Any idea what the actual component is that you smell? Is it in fact phenol or carbolic acid?

Any idea what the actual component is that you smell? Is it in fact phenol or carbolic acid?
Phenol and carbolic acid are one in the same. It would be pretty difficult to narrow down "what's the smell". Some species contain esters and turpines (cedars) that would be aromatic when volitalized. All plants contain indole acetic acid which is a hormone but I believe classed in aromatic. And then there are many which are alleopathic and produce chemicals which inhibit growth of surrounding plants.

When our stove is burning correctly I think I get a slight aroma of dry, slightly bitter, earth when the wind is right. It almost takes away all the romance for me when I see my solid fuel chimney exhausting plumes of invisible heat from what appears to be a gas appliance from the outside.

When our stove is burning correctly I think I get a slight aroma of dry, slightly bitter, earth when the wind is right. It almost takes away all the romance for me when I see my solid fuel chimney exhausting plumes of invisible heat from what appears to be a gas appliance from the outside.

I agree. You know the stove is cranking away, but there are no indicators that it's wood! It is a somewhat off putting smell, very chemical in nature.