Energy (grid) costs...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Branimal

Sep 26, 2023
Indiana
Our electric rate went up this month, from .10916 to .12738 per KWH. We are a member of a rural co-op, in south central Indiana, where coal plants are still dominant. Our central heat is electric (hasn't been on much this year) and my wife has a large electric glass kiln. I've been researching/looking into a solar bank to help offset the cost...not looking for input on that (yet). My question is, how much are you all paying per KWH for electric? My winter bills were in the $700-900 range before I started burning wood (our 3rd winter) in 2005, but I got a surprising bill this month. Perhaps our rate is low comparatively, I just don't know, thus me asking. So, if you could humor a fellow, what is your rate per KWH and (if you know) what is the bulk source of your power (coal, gas, hydro, nuclear, etc)? Thanks!

I'm in Massachusetts, and our total price is up to $0.31 per kWh as of 1/31/24 (including both generation and distribution charges). I am locked into a 3-year rate through a town operated co-op, but this only affects the generation price so the distribution cost can still change and it has gone up a lot. Last June our total rate was $0.26 and last January it was $0.23. Very glad I pulled the trigger and went solar last year, however even with unlimited net metering, the increased price during the winter has blown through the credit I built up. (Credit is stored in dollars, not kWh).

I frankly forgot the rate here (because solar and unlimited netmeeting in kWh), but I believe it's near 26 cts per kWh total costs.

I get a steal of a deal with my solar panels, my provider only charges $0.22/kwh, a good provider without panels is $0.26/kwh. The default "regulated rate" option is $0.32/kwh.

Alberta 2022 generation by source:
72.4% Natural gas (mix of thermal, cogen, combined cycle, and simple cycle)
12.4% Coal
8.8% Wind
3.2% Other (Biomass and other heat recovery schemes)
2.3% hydro
1.4% Solar

We pay separately for the power and delivery. The “standard offer” just dropped 35% to a rounded $0.11. For delivery Central Maine power customers pay about $22. for the first 50 kwh then $0.09 kwh.

This is what Wikipedia says on distribution in ‘22. [1] Natural Gas (31.6%) Wind (23.5%) Hydroelectric (19.5%) Biomass (16%) Solar (4.4%) Petroleum (2.3%) Coal (0.4%) Other (2.4%).

Solar ‘farms’ are popping up in a lot of places

Here in rural Kansas ours works out to around $.12 for raw cost, but total bill with all adjustments and such is $.1567. Attached is a graph with power generation types.

E5C178E2-8E91-4F5F-A5E4-F1181600A8CB.jpeg

Duke progress energy we pay $0.16 per KWh and that includes sales tax and fees and riders. They now only pay whole sale time of use rates for power you send back to grid and will only allow an installation that produces no more than your 12 month average usage. And they will force you to time of use billing. Rates have gone up 25% in 18 months and will go up again next year.

If you can take advantage of the tax credits and get some decent net metering or it might be a good idea. I don’t see how with the current prices battery storage options make money. Maybe if you go time of use billing and run the kiln off peak.

Right now I’m considering a small off grid solution with a mini split that runs on DC from the panels. Probably would add a 3-10 kWh battery. Tesla has a new version of her power wall that includes the inverter. Price seem competitive.

Central Maine Power is charging us $0.22/kWh currently, this can vary depending on who you choose for your supplier. I joined a local energy company's "green" plan which is mostly hydro. But as I've learned more about how RECs work, the more I see that the system is really kind of a shell game. In reality Maine's standard offer plan, for example, is about 2/3 fossil-fuel generated power, but with the RECs they get to claim it's mostly renewable.

We've got a 7.4 kW solar array here at the house, so during the day we're generating our own power and sending extra to the grid for the neighbors to use.

Just got my bill works out to17.5 cents / kilowatt. I have a 7000 watt electric heater I run when working in basement , that ran me about$54 of that bill. It has been very mild winter here so far . hot water heater sucks up most of the propane i use. furnace is propane also but dosen't run much due to wood stove heating the place 98 % of whats needed.

In Manitoba we have one of the lowest electrical rates across Canada due to our hydro-electric supply. We pay 9.455¢/kWh CAD (0.06-0.07USD) as a static rate.

There is also a fee of $10-20/mo on the bill for a basic charge dependent on whether you exceed 200 Amp.

However, we have some extremely cold temperatures, so the bills can become on the higher side in the winter months, fighting the -30 to -40 temps.

My last bill worked out to about $0.133/kWh including all charges. The current actual rate for power is $0.113 for the first 200 kWh, and $0.132/kWh after that.

Last year at this time we were paying around $0.34/kwh. We've had two rate reductions and now it comes out to about $0.26/kwh. That includes electricity charges, delivery charges, various fees and the $13.81 monthly charge to be hooked up and have a meter. We actually pay more for delivery and fees now than actual electrical cost. this is thru the largest electricity provider in NH (they only provide, they don't generate). This is my latest bill where I have used my mini split most of the month for heat on my main floor (heat downstairs is a pellet stove).

1708165198899.png

I would caution you to study how your Co-op handles solar net metering. They may not be as advantageous as an actual utility.

I get paid back 100% of my energy charges plus a portion of the other fees for each kwh I provide to the system. Some fees are not refundable at all (The bottom 2, and maybe it is the bottom 3 - I don't remember).

I know others who installed net-metered solar systems that are in a Co-op who only get back 50% or lower for their energy charge and none of the fees. My town is looking to create their own Co-Op, and I will be opting out of that when it happens so I can stick with the large utility.

BTW, I didn't actually have to pay the $123.44 as I have way more credited dollars from overproduction during summer. So that number is what came off of my overage.

After all costs and fees added in, my cost in February is $.250/kWh and 1.08/therm of natural gas.

Fun with numbers gets me $73.31 per million btu for electricity and $10.84 per million btu in gas.

Last edited: