Enerzone 3.4 or Quadrafire 5700

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pmurchie

Oct 8, 2010
Northeast Ohio
We are looking to heat our 2400 square foot open floor plan split level and am currently debating between the Enerzone 3.4 and the Quadrafire 5700.
In our last house we had an enerzone 2.3 insert and it operated fairly simply, one control for the air. Does the quad really put out more heat or operate better with the automatic combustion control???

Any insight or experience people have had with either of these stoves would be greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!!!!

No experience with either. If you liked the other Enerzone why would you not do it again. The ACC is marketing bullshit.

You have burned in a wood stove. Are you gonna trust that thing to "set it and forget it".

I don't think so.

never seen an enerzone in person, but their rep was trying to get us to sell them for a while. they look to be a well constructed unit, and the pricing is in line w/ comparable models.

I'm an Enezone guy so please forgive me if my answer is somewhat biased... i'm paid for it :)

The 3.4 is a heating monster and Enerzone best seller. It is the largest EPA non-Cat available on the market (3.4 cu. ft fire box). Now that I got that out of the way, if you are doing comparative shopping please look for the following:

1) Warranty: Enerzone has one of the best warranty on the market. Lifetime on glass and stainless steel tube and many other components

2) Quality of construction: uses 5/16" thick plate steel, 'C' Cast baffle - this is a ceramic composite material that can withstand heat close to 3000f, Hi Density refractory bricks - These are the heavy duty ones we use on our furnaces

3) Coverage: Rated at 100,000BTU with coverage up to 2,700 ft.

4) Value: Uses logs up to 22", the blower is included, the Ash drawer is standard, the door overlay system means that if you can easily change the look of your unit down the road, you dont have to replace the entire door. Yet the Enerzone brand typically retails below other brands.

5) Efficiency: rated at 78% with EPA emission rating of 3.8g/hr. You should comfortably get 8 to 10 hours of burn time.

5) Service: In NE Ohio you have about 5 dealers near you.

As regards putting more heat, keep in mind a pound of wood is worth about 7,200 BTU at 15% humidity. Therefore the function of 'more heat' is in great part based on how much wood you can place in a stove. The more lb the more heat. To get the most of the heat you look for a unit with high efficiency which means it will send less heat up the chimney.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

Thank for the advice so far now to throw in a new twist, the enerzone will cost about 2499.00 and I have located a older Quad with out the automatic combustion for 1430.00, granted it is the older model but then you don't have the extra stuff to break.

Wow, that is a good price and that is a good product.

You may want to ask one of your local Enerzone retailer for a break and they may be able to come close in pricing. Let me know and I can help you find a dealer in your area.

After the tax credit available this year the difference between the used Quad and the new Enerzone will only be three hundred bucks.

Hmmm... Appears from a PM that the "older" Quad is a brand new stove. I would be all over that deal.

From a design perspective, I have been very happy with our old Quad 3000. It was one of their first EPA stoves, prior to the company being sold, I believe. It has been the primary source of heat in our place for 23 years. I just re-bricked it a few days ago and it is heating the place for the 24th season. I really cannot find anything to complain about with it. I thought about taking advantage of the tax credit and getting a newer stove, but I just could not justify it. This thing still even looks ok after that many years.

I did download a manual for a 3100, and read about the ACC thing. It looks simple enough, but I could not come up with a real reason to want it.

Attachments

• DSCF5902-1.jpg
    DSCF5902-1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 463
Hi Pmurchie,
You really do have a great deal on the Quad at that prize! Still, since you do have the 30% tax credit and that a woodstove can be a part of your everyday life for the next 30+ years, I will strongly advise you take the time to see and feel closely both units. Play with the doors (see the latch system), grab the bricks (compare weigh and porosity), see the warranties and more importantly, don’t be afraid of talking to your hearth dealer about it. As a consumer I’m sure you want to feel you make the best deal and got the best product in your house every time you use it. All the best!

RUN AWAY FROM QUADRAFIRE AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!!! I have had problems with my Quad 5700 like you would not understand. The side steel panels on the firebox split on a weld seam on both sides. I think this caused an overfire in ste stove and burned some of the firebrick tabs off and split the air channel in the rear of the stove. Upon researching this problem I have found another stove built during the same time period of my stove with the EXACT same damage. I started the warranty claim back in August. Since then Quad refuses to speak with me regarding this issue and the call takers that answer the phone have HUNG UP on me twice. I spoke to several dealers regarding this customer service and they all have said since the parent company changed hands customer service stinks!!!I have been turned onto the Enerzone by a Quad dealer who gave the Enerzone great reviews. By the way according to my dealer Quad denied any warranty claim on the stove. The dealer told me that I should get a letter from them sometime. NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY FROM THIS COMPANY!!. Its a shame since I initially liked the stove.

My 2 cents.

I'm an Enezone guy so please forgive me if my answer is somewhat biased... i'm paid for it :)

The 3.4 is a heating monster and Enerzone best seller. It is the largest EPA non-Cat available on the market (3.4 cu. ft fire box). Now that I got that out of the way, if you are doing comparative shopping please look for the following:

1) Warranty: Enerzone has one of the best warranty on the market. Lifetime on glass and stainless steel tube and many other components

2) Quality of construction: uses 5/16" thick plate steel, 'C' Cast baffle - this is a ceramic composite material that can withstand heat close to 3000f, Hi Density refractory bricks - These are the heavy duty ones we use on our furnaces

3) Coverage: Rated at 100,000BTU with coverage up to 2,700 ft.

4) Value: Uses logs up to 22", the blower is included, the Ash drawer is standard, the door overlay system means that if you can easily change the look of your unit down the road, you dont have to replace the entire door. Yet the Enerzone brand typically retails below other brands.

5) Efficiency: rated at 78% with EPA emission rating of 3.8g/hr. You should comfortably get 8 to 10 hours of burn time.

5) Service: In NE Ohio you have about 5 dealers near you.

As regards putting more heat, keep in mind a pound of wood is worth about 7,200 BTU at 15% humidity. Therefore the function of 'more heat' is in great part based on how much wood you can place in a stove. The more lb the more heat. To get the most of the heat you look for a unit with high efficiency which means it will send less heat up the chimney.

I hope this helps. Please let us know how it goes.

Fyrebug,

Just viewed an Enerzone 2.3-1 insert today. I had been almost ready to purchase a Lopi Repulic 1750i and in fact made the trip to a dealer in Ky to view it. While there I was shown the Enerzone. I was impressed [my wife really liked it so you probably know where this is going to end up :) ] with the quality, the firebox size, and the warranty. In addition, the price was less and included the blower. I was equally impressed with the dealer. My wife and I asked a million questions and felt no pressure. Have not as yet decided because the dealer wants to inspect my firebox before sealing and deal.

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.