ENGLAND NC 30 ARRIVED

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

forvols

Dec 6, 2007
NORTHEAST TN
My NC30 was delivered yesterday.... For anybody wondering it is a big a** stove. I got it off the truck with an engine hoist and set it in the driveway. Inspected all, very nice. Stuck on 4ft of single wall pipe and 90* at the top threw in some newspaper and kindling and away she went. Put in some small beech splits. Got the stove top up to about 550 (after a while). Draft was not the greatest but it seasoned the paint. Going to try it again today and install in the basement tomorrow(replacing my Fisher mama bear, I think that is what it is.). Basement is approx 1600sqft uninsulated cinder block walls and floor joist above concrete floor w/ 2 garage doors and 1 standard door. All open area no walls up with a stair way leading to the house. The fisher would get the basement to about 80 BUT with ALOT of wood. Trying to cut down on the wood and lack of efficiency. What do you think the fisher is mayber 30-40% efficient?

Tony

Calling BB in the T-shirt dept. One extra large stove going in.

The 30NC will be a whole lot more efficient than the Fisher. But truth be told, I would guess that up to 30% the heat is being lost through the walls and possibly another 20% through air infiltration via the garage doors. Take care of those issues and there should be a radical reduction in wood consumption.

Here is your shirt.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 493
forvols said:
My NC30 was delivered yesterday.... For anybody wondering it is a big a** stove. I got it off the truck with an engine hoist and set it in the driveway. Inspected all, very nice. Stuck on 4ft of single wall pipe and 90* at the top threw in some newspaper and kindling and away she went. Put in some small beech splits. Got the stove top up to about 550 (after a while). Draft was not the greatest but it seasoned the paint. Going to try it again today and install in the basement tomorrow(replacing my Fisher mama bear, I think that is what it is.). Basement is approx 1600sqft uninsulated cinder block walls and floor joist above concrete floor w/ 2 garage doors and 1 standard door. All open area no walls up with a stair way leading to the house. The fisher would get the basement to about 80 BUT with ALOT of wood. Trying to cut down on the wood and lack of efficiency. What do you think the fisher is mayber 30-40% efficient?

Tony
I think the older stoves (I have one soon to buy new one also) were in the 50% efficient range, I too am looking forward to using less wood.

I used to heat my house with a grandma bear fisher and I just had this conversation with a friend in a PM the other day.

I gotta tell ya, the old fisher had the advantage in a couple of areas.

1. Ease in starting.
2. Could heat the house up from being chilly to being hot much faster.
3. Was bullet proof (no flimsy ceramic fiber baffle plate to be careful of)

However, the advantages of the new stove are:

1. With being able to go at least 12 hours in between loadings, I don’t have to start a new fire every day when I get home from work. (Haven’t used a match since the 1st or 2nd week of November)
2. I have tremendously cut my wood consumption down. (almost in 1/2!)
3. While the house may not heat up as quickly with this stove, it doesn’t cool down as much either when it’s really cold. For example, before I’d come home to a 60 degree house but be able to have it up to 70 in about 1.5 hours with the fisher. Now, I come home to a 64 degree house but it takes 2 hours to get it to 70.
4. I can watch the fire burn through the glass.
5. I have an exterior masonry chimney and get quite a bit less creosote build-up now.

In all, I miss the fisher out of nostalgia. But, truth be told, I really can’t get over the performance of this 30.

As to wood consumption

This wood rack would hold 4 days worth of almost 24/7 burning with the Fisher stove in cold weather (the stove would go out everyday while I was at work!)
I now get no less than 7 days out of this in the coldest weather.
My furnace has only run 2x this winter. Each of those times I turned it on just to give it exercise for about 20 mins.
With the fisher, I had the thermostat set at 60, so I am sure it kicked on at times when it went out on cold days while I was at work since I'd often come home to a 60 degree house.
With the 30, the house hasn't gotten that cold once this winter.

21810016.jpg

pen

Pen, you rock! I really mean that, as you modified your Fisher for improved efficiency, and still saw the need to further that cause with the NC/30. Me too, but I'm going BKK- longer burns only.

I take it that the 30 doesn't spill smoke and piss off your wife like you were concerned about Pen?

BrotherBart said:
I take it that the 30 doesn't spill smoke and piss off your wife like you were concerned about Pen?

There is no problem with that at all!

She is finding that this stove is much easier for her to control as well. I think it really helps that she can see in through the window to better understand how the fire is burning with out opening up the doors and changing the burn pattern.

pen

Sounds like your house is a similar set up to mine. Im always thinking about an NC30 but Im afraid it would make my basement too hot. Im considering finishing it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.