Englander 1,800 sq. ft. Wood-Burning Stove draw/lighting issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I’ll say it..

Don’t use the company that originally installed your stove and said you “don’t need” a liner.

Then install they did isn’t even close to safe. And wouldn’t be legal in my state.

I’ll say it..

Don’t use the company that originally installed your stove and said you “don’t need” a liner.

Then install they did isn’t even close to safe. And wouldn’t be legal in my state.

I don't have much choice. They are the only company around here that does this. I live in a very rural area. The only other choice is to do it myself. Which I am definitely leaning towards now. I just don't know how I am going to navigate the bend in the chimney. Having said that, I think I might be able to do a better job. I just need to think about the logistics of it all.

I'm wondering if the stove has ever worked really properly. The 13-NC wants 15' of flue. The two 90º turns and 24" horizontal are slowing down the flue gases, effectively reducing flue height by about 4 ft. The 15' height is at sea level. My guess is that your altitude is over a mile high. Thinner air needs even more chimney height. Suspecting more height on the chimney may be required.

Have you taken apart the stove pipe yet to examine the horizontal section and see if that is clear or plugging up?

That's your choice then.

Read more, watch more video, ask questions and then YOU do it RIGHT.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Thank you for all the excellent advice.

It seems to me that I need to do the following things:

• Replace my single wall stovepipe with double wall.
  • Find a way to either line the masonry chimney that forms the very last part.
  • Put on a chimney cap

I've started another thread for advice on how I should deal with my stovepipe/chimney issues. Pics didn't post, working on that now.

Is 12' up the only way into the masonry chimney? Seems a tad odd being so far up. Guess the + side is you could get by with a short/reasonable priced length of SS liner! Betting you will add a section of Class A on top of the liner/masonry..

Oh my. Just viewed the new thread. Best of luck. Advice will surely be on the way.

Last edited:
Is 12' up the only way into the masonry chimney? Seems a tad odd being so far up. Guess the + side is you could get by with a short/reasonable priced length of SS liner! Betting you will add a section of Class A on top of the liner/masonry..

The building is a 1900s bank renovated into a home. Where the stove pipe meets the chimney is the only entrance into the chimney, and it enters at the bottom of the chimney.

I have no idea what SS liner is or what Class A is. I can research the SS liner, but ... Class A of what?

The building is a 1900s bank renovated into a home. Where the stove pipe meets the chimney is the only entrance into the chimney, and it enters at the bottom of the chimney.

I have no idea what SS liner is or what Class A is. I can research the SS liner, but ... Class A of what?

Sorry to confuse. Its easy to forget others are not fluent in chimney speak! SS is Stainless Steel chimney Liner (Preferably insulated in most cases). Class A chimney is double wall insulated Stainless Chimney pipe. 1900's bank is a good story. Heading to new thread...

Sorry to confuse. Its easy to forget others are not fluent in chimney speak! SS is Stainless Steel chimney Liner (Preferably insulated in most cases). Class A chimney is double wall insulated Stainless Chimney pipe. 1900's bank is a good story. Heading to new thread...

Yeah I love this place. But when I started doing the renovations all on my own, I didn't realize how much I could NOT hire reliable help out here. I love the learning curve honestly, but right now I'm waiting for a hospital bed, I'm so sick, and this just all feels like a disaster to me. :(

My question on the other thread can be distilled down to this: if I put a double walled stainless chimney pipe down my chimney, how do I manage the 90 degree bend at the bottom to connect it to my current stove pipe?

Yeah I love this place. But when I started doing the renovations all on my own, I didn't realize how much I could NOT hire reliable help out here. I love the learning curve honestly, but right now I'm waiting for a hospital bed, I'm so sick, and this just all feels like a disaster to me. :(

My question on the other thread can be distilled down to this: if I put a double walled stainless chimney pipe down my chimney, how do I manage the 90 degree bend at the bottom to connect it to my current stove pipe?

You want the final answer to be painless to disassemble for regular cleanings.

@bholler , Recap: 10' of Double wall straight up out of the stove, 90, 2' horizontal run into (what I assume is a thimble but maybe not, installer is dodgy), then through a masonry chimney wall and stops in the masonry chimney, which is not lined. Chimney exits about 3' above the stove pipe's entry hole.

We want the chimney to be lined all the way up, capped, and it needs to be not too hard to clean.

How should it be done?

It sounds to me like there is a chimney built into a parapet wall. If that is the case i would simply abandon that chimney and run doublewall connector pipe up to a prefab class a chimney going straight up through the roof. It would be easy to maintain and draft much better. Some pics would help allot

Reactions: moresnow