englander 12 FP versus 20 yr. old VC Intrepid for 500 sq. ft. house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikesmoff

Sep 12, 2008
Found these two stoves available for the same price-
"twenty year old" Intrepid and what appears to be an Englander 12 FP.
House to heat is very small, about 500 square feet- living room/kitchen and two bedrooms.
Perhaps even with the inefficiency of being a 35 to 1 Englander 12 FP it would do the trick for such a small place?
Like the fire visibility of the Englander.
Thank you for your knowledgeable input.

I'd pass on both, unless the Intrepid had been stored in an attic for 19 yrs. Rumor is that Englander should be coming out with a new small stove one of these days that will replace the 12FP.

working on it ;-) i dunno yrt if it will "replace" the 12 we are still building the 12 currently.(ran some today as a matter of fact) its a good stove for the size our OP is looking at heating, the new 17 is going to be a pretty neat little stove too. its a hot running little rascal from what ive seen of the prototypes burning, young corie certainly knows how to make heat. only downfall with the 12 is that being a 35-1 it does not qualify for the govt credit (but then the old intrepid doesnt either) new stove would come with a warranty as well so thats one thing to factor in. being biased as i am and freely admit my opinion may not count as highly due to my building one of the stoves in question im still going for the new stove over the used one with price being equal.

edit : im assuming that the 12 is a new unit in writing this, if used then its a wash either way assuming both are in good condition

stoveguy2esw said:
Todd said:
How about a sneak peak picture Mike?

i'll have to see, i dont have it on my "puter" here at home,

Corie could scan the one on the nightstand by his bed. :lol:

With all due respect to Mike, Corey and Co. - I would shy away from the 12. There are other stoves out there. Keep a-lookin'

Status
Not open for further replies.