Englander 13NP over heating?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

n6crv

Feeling the Heat
Aug 5, 2007
Hillsdale Co. Michigan
Hello, I (might) be having some trouble. My Englander 13NP seems to be showing that it is running very hot. I'm not sure if it really is or just looks that way. I have my Rutland thermometer on the top/center about 4" from the flue collar. It is not unusual for it to show 700 to 750 deg. This is even after just starting it up in the morning after only about 10 to 15 min. The air control is about closed getting good secondaries. If I check with an IR gun it reads about the same. If I check in the rear corners it will show around 450 deg. Just checked and it has been about an hour and showing 500 in the front and in the corner 330 deg. Is it getting close to over firing? At this time of the year most splits are are the end pieces around 12 to 14 in long. But this seems to be the normal temps even when burning larger pieces. Should I move the thermometer to the rear? I can see where it is now would be the hottest spot as all the heat would be going pass it to get to the flue. The paint does not show where it was over-fired, but I do paint it every year just to keep it looking like new. Also when it is showing the high temps the flue is running around 400 deg. Any thoughts would be a big help.
Thanks!!
Don

I'd say that your near the "redline" so to speak.

pen

If that's as hot as it gets then I'd say you are ok. That's not very high up on the pipe, so the reading you get there should be VERY close to what they recommend for a stove-top temp max. Here is an email I got from Englander when I questioned them about my temps.

Normal wood stove operation should occur between 350°F and 600°F, with 350°F to 450°F being a low to medium heat output level and 450°F to 600°F being a medium to high heat output level. Operating the stove at 650°F would be considered the maximum continuous operating temperature permissible and unit damage may result from operating at that high of a burn rate for extended time periods. Allowing the unit to reach 700°F or higher is defined as over‐firing and will almost definitely result in unit damage. These temperatures should be measured using a magnetic surface thermometer attached to the hottest place on the unit, which is generally on the top of the unit, directly between the flue collar and the front edge of the top

We do not have the same stove, but we do have very similar fireboxes. I would imagine that you are ok if you only touch that temp every once in a while and hoover just below it.

Perhaps you could describe your chimney to see if there is something there that someone pics up on...

Thanks for the info. Just checked and it is running at 400* and putting out good heat. When it does it up to the 700* I will turn the fan on and that cools it down fast. I have the thermometer right where they want it. It just seems to hit the red zone very easy. Must be a sign i'm burning good wood.
Again Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.