Englander 24-FC Wood Stove Cat question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angryhippie

Nov 5, 2014
Dayton, OH
About 2 years ago I purchased a farm house that had an existing Engalnder 24-FC wood burning stove in it. I am new to burning wood and had a few questions about this product. I reviewed the manual found on line and I was wondering how can I tell if the catalytic combuster is still good and doing its job or if it needs replaced. When I look outside when burning there appears to be some mild smoke of a lighter color with a mild "wood burning" smell.

Last year I only burned about a cord of wood and I found some mild creosote build up in the chimney, I thought one of the primary reasons for having a cat stove was that it burned up a majority of creosote before it made it to the chimney

Also, will the unit still work if I don't have the cat up to temperature, looking back I'm wondering if I didn't have it hot enough when closing things down.

Status
Not open for further replies.