Englander 25-EP Stuck door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragonfly

Nov 8, 2014
Vermont
I have not seen this problem mentioned elsewhere so I am wondering if this is unusual. As a newbie wiith a new stove (Englander 25-EP), I ran the stove for about 20 hours (about 10 hours on a heat setting of 5, and another 10 on a heat setting of 2), then shut it down to RTV the interior exhaust pipe fittings now that I knew everything was working OK. While I had it shut down, I figured I would clean out the ash. The door would not open. I finally used a prybar to get it open! It seemed the gasket had glued itself to the stove. I think the gasket remained OK after I got it open, and it would open and close fine while cold, but I will have to see if this problem repeats after another heat-up/cool-down. Has anyone had anything like this happen to them and is there any advice on what to do?

Also, I posted a set of questions about the controls on this stove the other day and nobody has ventured an answer yet. Any info would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum, Dragonfly. Lot's of new folks joining now that heating season is in full gear, so sometimes threads fall through the cracks.

I'd recommend amending your thread post entries to include "Englander 25-EP" in the thread title, then it will better catch the eye of other folks on this forum who have your brand of stove, and can often most easily help you. Doing that on your original post will bump you back up in the thread list as well.

Being a "Quad" guy, can't help you unfortunately on your Englander issues, but hopefully someone while chime in who can.

Welcome to the forum, Dragonfly. Lot's of new folks joining now that heating season is in full gear, so sometimes threads fall through the cracks.

I'd recommend amending your thread post entries to include "Englander 25-EP" in the thread title, then it will better catch the eye of other folks on this forum who have your brand of stove, and can often most easily help you. Doing that on your original post will bump you back up in the thread list as well.

Being a "Quad" guy, can't help you unfortunately on your Englander issues, but hopefully someone while chime in who can.

Thanks DMKNLD. Change in title made.

Is this a refurb? Had that problem when I got mine. They repainted the stove and the gasket stuck to the stove. Just put some graphite on the gasket, you'll be good to go.

My new 25pdvc did the same thing....all courtesy of the new paint....almost felt like it was welded. I went around the stove door (once cooled down) with a small plastic putty knife and that did the trick, it's been perfect ever since...no damage done :)

My new 25pdvc did the same thing....all courtesy of the new paint....almost felt like it was welded. I went around the stove door (once cooled down) with a small plastic putty knife and that did the trick, it's been perfect ever since...no damage done :)
Is this a refurb? Had that problem when I got mine. They repainted the stove and the gasket stuck to the stove. Just put some graphite on the gasket, you'll be good to go.
No, this is a new stove. The door was fine for the dry run test and my initial poking around to learn the machine before firing it up. It was only after the first day's burn that this happened. I'll look into the graphite just in case. I may need that for the sides of the hopper too.

Yes, that's what it felt like. I had to convince myself that I really had undone the latch and that I wasn't going to break it!

Status
Not open for further replies.