Englander 25-EP too Much Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Astrolite

Dec 28, 2013
S. Central Pennsylvania
I am a brand new member and this is my very first post. Thanks, in advance for this great resource!

I'm not new to wood heating; I've had an old Sierra wood stove for almost 35 years. I’ve gotten tired of all the work of acquiring firewood and the mess, so it has sat idle for the past 5 years. Total electric home and also tired of paying $400 plus per month electric bills, during the winter, in S. Central Pennsylvania. I have been doing a lot of research on pellet stoves, visited a few local dealers and visiting forums such as this. I’m fairly mechanically inclined and think I can handle the installation, maintenance and even minor repairs, especially with the help of a site like this one.

Was thinking Harman P-43, but too expensive, don’t think I can count on factory support and not impressed with the local dealers. Thought about the Quadra-Fire Santa Fe but have pretty much the same concerns as with Harman. Started reading about the Englander stoves and like what I’m seeing. Quality American made stove, at a great price and great factory support. For the price I could add a good generator, ash vac and a few tons of pellets and still not have spent what I would spend on a Harman. I know I will not have a local dealer to support me but like I said, I’m not too impressed with the local dealers anyhow.

Really like the Englander 25-EP for its automation and the fact it has an ash pan. Just a little concerned it might be too much stove for my home. I live in a 1500 sq. ft. ranch, not well insulated, and the living room, where the stove would be located, is only about 275 sq. ft. I do have fairly large open doorways to the kitchen and hallway and the master bedroom is adjacent to the living room and could have through the wall venting installed.

Would really like to get some input from the many experienced users here, and maybe even Tom from England’s Stove Works. Thanks again for the great site, lots of great information.

I am a brand new member and this is my very first post. Thanks, in advance for this great resource!

I'm not new to wood heating; I've had an old Sierra wood stove for almost 35 years. I’ve gotten tired of all the work of acquiring firewood and the mess, so it has sat idle for the past 5 years. Total electric home and also tired of paying $400 plus per month electric bills, during the winter, in S. Central Pennsylvania. I have been doing a lot of research on pellet stoves, visited a few local dealers and visiting forums such as this. I’m fairly mechanically inclined and think I can handle the installation, maintenance and even minor repairs, especially with the help of a site like this one.

Was thinking Harman P-43, but too expensive, don’t think I can count on factory support and not impressed with the local dealers. Thought about the Quadra-Fire Santa Fe but have pretty much the same concerns as with Harman. Started reading about the Englander stoves and like what I’m seeing. Quality American made stove, at a great price and great factory support. For the price I could add a good generator, ash vac and a few tons of pellets and still not have spent what I would spend on a Harman. I know I will not have a local dealer to support me but like I said, I’m not too impressed with the local dealers anyhow.

Really like the Englander 25-EP for its automation and the fact it has an ash pan. Just a little concerned it might be too much stove for my home. I live in a 1500 sq. ft. ranch, not well insulated, and the living room, where the stove would be located, is only about 275 sq. ft. I do have fairly large open doorways to the kitchen and hallway and the master bedroom is adjacent to the living room and could have through the wall venting installed.

Would really like to get some input from the many experienced users here, and maybe even Tom from England’s Stove Works. Thanks again for the great site, lots of great information.

That 275 sq foot room you put it in will be roasting......I agree with everything you said in tour analysis

I have an 1800 sq ft home with no insulation, and my 25-EP struggles to keep up. If you experiment with fan placement you'd be surprised how well you can distribute that heat. I don't think the 25-EP would be too much for your house, I think it would be just right.

my opinion is, short of putting a pellet furnace in a one room cabin, you get as much stove as you can for your budget.
you can always turn it down/adjust the thermostat.
but once a smaller stove is maxed out... well, maxed is maxed.

it took me a little while to perfect my distribution. but now i have fine tuned the control i have over the temps throughout the house.
when the time comes, i'm sure plenty of folks will be happy to share tips about moving the heat where you want it.

how cold does it get in winter where you are?
my house is just 925 sq. feet. but i'm still glad i got the PS50 rather than the PS35.

Last edited:
I agree with St_Earl 100%. You can never have too much stove, only too little. I wish I'd have went with something bigger.

Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of using a thermostat and having it shut down and start up at set temperatures. Between that and working on the circulation, of the heat, hopefully it wouldn't burn me out of the living room.

St_Earl, it typically gets into the 20s at night, less frequently the teens, but sometimes even the single digits.

Thanks for the responses. I like the idea of using a thermostat and having it shut down and start up at set temperatures.

this is one of the (many) great things about a pellet stove.

My house is less than adequately insulated and is roughly 1700 sq ft. My 25 ep does a decent job of keeping the house warm. I use super premium pellets which seem to help. I wish I had a bigger stove to be honest. However I love the customer service and the DIY design of the stove.

I've read just about everything I can find on this forum about the 25-EP and I'm leaning towards giving one a try. Seems like the number one problem, for this stove, that I have read about, is cheap blower motors/bearings that go out rather quickly and cause the motor to start making noise. I did read about one guy rebuilding the motors with better bearings and also replacing one of the motors with a higher quality Dayton. That sounds like a good, after warranty, upgrade for this stove.

Now if AM/FM Energy.com would get a referb in stock I'd be all set, lol.

I had an insert a few years back, very good stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.