Harman p35i slide out for service/cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

bbc557ci

Dec 25, 2007
Central NY State
Hello all. I recently bought a house that has an LP furnace, and a Harman p35i insert. Having no experience with pellet stoves, before firing up the p35i I did an initial cleaning of what I could get to, without pulling the unit from the fireplace opening.

I've been looking on you tube to get info on pulling the stove out so I can do a more thorough cleaning and inspection. The hearth is about 15 inches above floor level, and protrudes about 5-6 inches from the front of the stove. So I expect I'll need to support the stove as I pull it out from the fireplace opening. I'm an older fellow (turn 73 in a couple of months) and I know the stove is heavy. So I'm looking for suggestions on how to support the stove, and or any suggestions regarding the removal process. I've seen there is a rail maintenance kit with a support that can be purchased for around $470.00 and it looks like that would make removal of the stove pretty straight forward. But the cost is a bit too rich for me. Any suggestions on how to remove and or support the beast would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for any input!!

FWIW... In my previous house that I lived in for 25 years, I heated with a Keystoker coal stove, a Pacific Energies wood stove, and LP. But this is my 1st experience with a pellet stove.

Hi, I have a Harman Invincible Insert and deal with the same scenario that you are facing. I agree the rail kit is too expensive.

So on my stove 2x4 lumber slides into the bottom slots. I'm assuming it's the same for yours. I made two simple "L" brackets out of 2x4's. The height is measured is equal to the stove's slot height and the length is the distance I want to slide the stove out to access the various parts behind the stove. I put these brackets in the slots and start working the stove outwards in increments, pulling side by side to get it moving out along the 2x4 brackets. I've found that by putting a small 2 ton car jack under the stove and gently taking weight off the stove it rolls out fairly easily. Since the jack has metal wheels I put some plywood down over some carpet tiles to protect the floor. It's not a fun job but it gets the job done. Having an assistant to help pull the stove out makes it allot easier.

Hi, I have a Harman Invincible Insert and deal with the same scenario that you are facing. I agree the rail kit is too expensive.

So on my stove 2x4 lumber slides into the bottom slots. I'm assuming it's the same for yours. I made two simple "L" brackets out of 2x4's. The height is measured is equal to the stove's slot height and the length is the distance I want to slide the stove out to access the various parts behind the stove. I put these brackets in the slots and start working the stove outwards in increments, pulling side by side to get it moving out along the 2x4 brackets. I've found that by putting a small 2 ton car jack under the stove and gently taking weight off the stove it rolls out fairly easily. Since the jack has metal wheels I put some plywood down over some carpet tiles to protect the floor. It's not a fun job but it gets the job done. Having an assistant to help pull the stove out makes it allot easier.

Thanks for the reply. I'll pull the lower cover off the front of the stove in the morning when it's cooled down and see what the bottom looks like, how it's configured. I don't know if there are "slots" in my stove like you mention or not. I guess it would have been smarter if I checked it out before asking questions. But I've never been accused of being smart!! My initial thought was to build a small stand with a plywood top that's the same height as the top of the hearth, and slide the stove out on that far enough to get to the back parts of it. I like your floor jack idea. I have a couple of floor jacks and understand how a wheeled jack could make it easier to move/manipulate the stove.
Thanks again for the input!!

When I use the jack I put a small piece of plywood between the jacking point and the bottom of the stove to distribute the force. It's good to have a plan to pull the stove because anything can go wrong in the middle of the winter. What kind of backup heat do you have? I have propane and electric which I don't use unless the pellet stove has problems. Also, the chimney needs to be cleaned periodically and the stove needs to be pulled out for that. Good luck!

When I use the jack I put a small piece of plywood between the jacking point and the bottom of the stove to distribute the force. It's good to have a plan to pull the stove because anything can go wrong in the middle of the winter. What kind of backup heat do you have? I have propane and electric which I don't use unless the pellet stove has problems. Also, the chimney needs to be cleaned periodically and the stove needs to be pulled out for that. Good luck!

I got a look at the front underside and the insert appears to be resting/set on a bolt head at each front corner. Looks like the bolts are for height adjustment and leveling. Could be the same type of supports at the rear side. I'm hesitant to pull it out myself. Lifting up at the front side while pulling I'm sure I could wiggle it out. But it seems "sliding" it back into place would be a real chore, at best. Think what I'll do is look for a stove company or maybe a sweep that will pull it out so the back side components can be cleaned. If I can locate someone I'll stay close by to observe, and hopefully be able to come up with a way to do it myself next time. Considering my past associations with Mr. Murphy and Murphey's Law, I believe getting someone familiar with the chore at hand is the best way to go. The biggest problem for me is finding someone I trust that knows what they're doing.

Just an FYI here... The Harman p35i has what appears to be a built in "rail kit", at least mine does. Manufacture date is 2010. I don't know if the newer models are equipped the same. I had a guy come out to clean and check out the stove and he easily pulled the stove out. Did what had to be done, then was able to slide the stove back in place pretty easily. There are metal tracks along with small rollers. So that's a load off... pun intended.

Just an FYI here... The Harman p35i has what appears to be a built in "rail kit", at least mine does. Manufacture date is 2010. I don't know if the newer models are equipped the same. I had a guy come out to clean and check out the stove and he easily pulled the stove out. Did what had to be done, then was able to slide the stove back in place pretty easily. There are metal tracks along with small rollers. So that's a load off... pun intended.
Lucky you! My old invincible slides on rails but they are metal to metal. That's why I take off some of the stove's weight with the lift. I thought about configuring something with rollers but haven't been able to come up with a good design so far.

Lucky you! My old invincible slides on rails but they are metal to metal. That's why I take off some of the stove's weight with the lift. I thought about configuring something with rollers but haven't been able to come up with a good design so far.

I am lucky indeed. The rails and wheels are minimal, not what the $470 kit looks like. Wheels might be 1/2" in diameter and the track they roll on doesn't appear to be all that robust, but it works. I'm going to build a small platform the same height as the hearth so I'll be able to rest the front of the stove on that for the next roll out & cleaning. Good to know I can do it myself. Next thing is to locate a decent fan to circulate the warm air, something a little quieter than my Walmart box fan.... damn that thing is loud, even on the lowest setting.

Hello all. I recently bought a house that has an LP furnace, and a Harman p35i insert. Having no experience with pellet stoves, before firing up the p35i I did an initial cleaning of what I could get to, without pulling the unit from the fireplace opening.

I've been looking on you tube to get info on pulling the stove out so I can do a more thorough cleaning and inspection. The hearth is about 15 inches above floor level, and protrudes about 5-6 inches from the front of the stove. So I expect I'll need to support the stove as I pull it out from the fireplace opening. I'm an older fellow (turn 73 in a couple of months) and I know the stove is heavy. So I'm looking for suggestions on how to support the stove, and or any suggestions regarding the removal process. I've seen there is a rail maintenance kit with a support that can be purchased for around $470.00 and it looks like that would make removal of the stove pretty straight forward. But the cost is a bit too rich for me. Any suggestions on how to remove and or support the beast would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance for any input!!

FWIW... In my previous house that I lived in for 25 years, I heated with a Keystoker coal stove, a Pacific Energies wood stove, and LP. But this is my 1st experience with a pellet stove.
I made my own support with 2x4’s. I put a piece of plywood on top. Very good support.

I made my own support with 2x4’s. I put a piece of plywood on top. Very good support.

I came across a heavy duty plastic crate and made a platform using 1/2 in. plywood and 2x4s to set on top of the crate. I planed down the 2x4s and screwed the plywood to them. So the plywood top is about 1/8th in. above the hearth making removal and return pretty easy. Actually easier than I thought it would be lol.

Just thought I'd mention... the "wheels" on mine look kind of like small bearings, sleaved, not actual ball bearings. And the "axels" are bolts that are maybe 1/4 or 5/16 inch diameter. Just food for thought if you're looking for an after heating season project lol.