Harman P35i Issues

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jasonwp

Jan 5, 2021
Falmouth ky
Hi, I have a 2 season old Harman P35i and the dealer said to basically leave in room temp mode, feed rate at 4 and ignition on auto. I have noticed that on really cold nights, 20F or lower it stops going through the cycles and just burns like it's in constant mode. I have reached out to my dealer and asked if this is an issue and he seems to think like I do that if in auto mode it should cycle up and down consistently like it does when its warmer out. We usually leave the temp knob around 4.5-5 to keep the house in the 70-73 range. When it seems to function properly the stove kicks on goes in high mode and gets the house to 73 then shuts down until the house gets around 69 then kicks on and gets it back up to 73....hence auto mode. My frustration is when it gets cold outside it seems to stay in contact burn mode even though it's in auto. The dealer asked me to place something along the ash pan vent by the thermostat probe thinking that it was detecting cold air with no luck. I have a small single story open floor plan home with slab floors and about 850sq ft, this stove is rated for 1500sp ft. I use only quality hard wood pellets also. Sometimes I wake early to the nuisance of the stove just running constant and if I barely turn the temp dial slightly back it will cycle down and seem to go back to auto mode.....it's annoying auto mode should cycle like a traditional furnace all the time right? It works that way most of the time. I have no error code, lights or any other issues whatsoever. Lastly like I mentioned I just had the dealer out to service and clean two burns ago. Any input, suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

It sounds like it's running normally. If the outside temp is colder the stove may run continuously to meet the need for additional heat. I run my stove in manual mode to keep the stove running all the time rather than having it auto shutdown/startup. I find I use less pellets and it's less stress on the igniter.

Huh, my installer was insistent that auto mode was most efficient. Well I'll give it a shot. I know all things are variable based on home, but what do you set your unit on, ie fan speed temp and feed rate? Thanks for the response!

On mine I have the feed rate set to 3, temp set to 70 or 72, in room temp with the fan set to high if no one is in the room. When occupied I set the fan to low to minimize the noise.

Ok so the setting you have it in is auto which is room temp mode. The fan speed setting doesn't really make a difference. Once the thermostat calls for it, it will rev up automatically until desired set temp is reached.

Ok so the setting you have it in is auto which is room temp mode. The fan speed setting doesn't really make a difference. Once the thermostat calls for it, it will rev up automatically until desired set temp is reached.

I believe what @jackman is saying is that he flipped the igniter switch to manual light (which forces the stove to stay on all the time instead of shutting down).

My P43 doesn't act like you are describing although once it starts getting into the single digits and/or super windy out, it will start lighting up almost immediately after shutting down - sometimes while coals are still glowing in the burn pot so it takes almost nothing to light up the pellets as they start dropping.

It sounds like your temp probe is towards the floor. I would experiment with it and move it up a couple of feet and see what happens.

Reactions: jackman
Do you keep your igniter on manual or auto when you use contact mode?
I keep it on manual so the stove stays running. I prefer not to have it startup/shutdown which spares the igniter and keeps the stove running at a slow burn rate.

I have my P52i insert probe behind the stove and about 4 feet off the ground. When it gets super cold you may need to adjust the thermostat up, and as it gets warmer out turn it down a few degrees. I run mine in room temp, ignitor on auto. The stove will ramp up and down as needed. I have the fan up about 3/4 of the way.
Also I wipe off the probe tip off when cleaning the stove. You have an excellent stove but it will still need a little tweaking depending on outside temps. Remember the feed rate is for max feed. Settings play a lot in the feed rate.

Huh, my installer was insistent that auto mode was most efficient. Well I'll give it a shot. I know all things are variable based on home, but what do you set your unit on, ie fan speed temp and feed rate? Thanks for the response!
Is the home overheating? What is the temp in the house compared to what you have it set at on the stove?