Englander 25-PDV burn pot/auger function

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
New to pellet burning, and my used stove1
I'm looking to see how I should expect the auger, burn pot, and ash build-up to look ... and work.
I've only burned 5 bags of (the same) pellets so far, and cleaned everything twice. (mostly testing ... building inspector should be here tomorrow to check out the install).

I've heard stories of the fire, burning it's way up the auger, and starting a hopper fire. That doesn't sound like a good thing. Is too much of a build-up of ash & embers in the burn pot a cause of this, or something else, more common? Is normal operation, for the auger to push pellets forward, that in tern, push ash and maybe some not fully burned embers out of the pot, onto the bottom of the stove? (no ash drawer in my model). Am I a worry wort, constantly checking the fire to see if there is 'too much' ash in the burn pot, turn everything to 'low' on the stove, open the door, and clean out some of the ash accumulation in the burn pot ... or should I just let the thing .. do it's thing, and the ash will take care of itself?

Thanks in advance.
Dennis

I have the same model stove you do. This winter season will be my 10th. I've burned 54 tons of pellets; that 2700 bags. During the coldest part of winter, the stove runs at 9/9, 24/7 (in c mode). Sometimes I go days without cleaning the burn pot. The ash runs up the glass. I've never had a problem on the burn end, never. I understand you're concern.

What you're seeing is normal for the PDV, and for that matter the PDVC; I have both. What I and most people do is a once a day burn pot cleaning. I use an ordinary garden shovel to remove the excess ash, leaving the hot embers as best as can be. I use an oven mitt because I have 'delicate' hands. No need to turn the stove off or on low, just open the door, scoop and close. Simple. Englanders are not pretty burners, but boy do they throw heat.

As for fires in the hopper, the only scenario I can think of is running the stove with the hopper lid open, the lid has bad or worn gaskets or the latches do not seal properly. This causes air to be pulled from the hopper, allowing the fire to move up the bottom auger tube. PDV's built after 05 or 06 have a switch that stops the feed auger when the lid is open. The key to this and all pellet stoves is keeping it clean. Try the search function for cleaning tips. There's tons of good advice on this forum.

Doghouse .... I have a separate post on identifying my stove's model. I was told it was a 25-PVD (I think ....) but am not sure. The components in the manual he downloaded don't quite match, but I understand the more general nature of some of the manuals.

Good deal on the burn pot cleaning. I'll continue that, then! I've found a few cleaning tips, plus those from the previous owner.. finding everywhere that ash buildup might steal some heat transfer! Mine doesn't seem to put out a whole lot of heat, but I'm still experimenting. I think I'll replace all the 'rope' gaskets .. glass, door and hopper. I'll check and see what the 3 'bottom' settings are, hopefully tonight. The building inspector should be out today to check out the install.

Status
Not open for further replies.