Englander 25-PDV - Is Auger Bearing Toast!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About a month ago my bottom Auger began to squell from rubbing against the feed tube. The squelling has since stopped but the bottom auger motor is now moving in an erractic pattern. The motor will rise then push back slightly then come back down to its original position. this cycle repeats itself over and over. The cycle described also has a grinding type noise right before the motor heads downward. I took the motor off and checked to see if the auger was binding on something but it seemed to spin fairly smooth. How do I know if the Auger Bearing is bad? I noticed a greese fitting on the bearing, is there a special greese needed for High temps? I'm thinking I will need to replace the bearing as i try to limp into spring still running my stove.

When I took the motor off, I did try the auger alignment procedure as mentioned. I was wondering if anyone has replaced the Auger Bearing and what was the symptoms to cause the replacement. How often are you supposed to lube the grease fittings on these bearings, I couldn't find anything in the Englander tech sheets that mention this.

Well if the auger was rubbing against the auger tube, it will put a strain on the auger motor and could wear down the bearings inside making them loose. I would try taking the motor off and running it to see what it does, if it makes any noise. Also if there was alot of dust collected on the motor that may dry out the moving parts and cause the motor to make noise as well.

I have an quad fire santa fe that I bought last november. the feed motor is making a medium-loud grinding noise. I had the auger motor replaced three times and the whole auger assembly replaced once, all since I bought it. Could the grinding noise be, the auger rubbing on the inside of the auger tube? Could it be the auger spring is bent somehow? Can I fix it myself, since the tech can't do it?

This thread caught my attention.
My bottom auger motor has always rolled around unevenly since day #1 but it`s not been an operational issue. It`s always been quiet and the augers are aligned.
I know there is some play in the auger shaft but the play looks to be excessive. One of these days I`ll try reversing the upper and lower bearings assemblies.

The thought of swapping bearings never crossed my mind. With the demands of the top Auger being far less than the bottom maybe this is the ticket to save a few bucks. I'm still looking for an answer on the grease fittings on these bearings, have you ever lubed them up and if so do you need a special grease because of the high temps. 31 degrees at 11p.m. here in the Eastern part of the state.

My top auger keeps jamming up. New unit and there is nice pressure from the motor. Nicely aligned when I reinstalled it. I am thinking the pellets are bad. Bought a couple bags at tsc. We owned the same unit for a couple season before we sold and moved the house and never had this problem. Of course, now I am not getting nearly as much heated air blowing from the unit. Makes the same amount of noise but hardly any air. SOunded like I heard a dsmper when i moved teat owork in it?? Maybe that is stuck. I have had it for a week and not too happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.