Englander 25 PDV Yearly Maintenance Pull the Augers?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nick123

Jun 5, 2013
Central NY
Hello Everyone!

This is my third year burning. Should I pull the augers and inspect with yearly maintenance? I pull the blowers, clean and replace all the gaskets every year but never have pulled the augers. The manual and video that come with the stove doesn't make it clear if I should do this?

Thanks Nick

Some flip the motors as well so the bottom one that runs steady can get a break

Reactions: Daveman and nick123
In theory pulling them once a year is good practice. I usually just pull them when there is a problem which is not yearly. I do however chip off the carbon deposits at the tip weekly. I did the pimp my augers thing when I first got the stove. It solved repeated jam problems. After that it never jammed again.

Reactions: nick123
Augers pulled. Makes me nervous for some reason. I'll get a wire wheel tomorrow and some dry molly or graphite spray.

Ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure or in stove maintenance, a cold butt. The little extra time to clean and the couple bucks to apply a graphite or moly coating to a auger or hopper is pretty minor.

I'm glad I did it. Stove has been up and running for couple of weeks now. I feel like there is nothing I can't do on my stove now! Thanks..

Reactions: Shane1
Often times the effort is rewarded not only in heat, but a bit of self confidence:)
Glad it worked out.

This is my 8th heating season with the PDV and had my
first auger jam 2 weeks ago..nothing that a few wiggles on
the auger motor couldn't cure. I haven't had a reason to pull
the auger's as of yet...knock on wood..!!!

I'm glad I did it. Stove has been up and running for couple of weeks now. I feel like there is nothing I can't do on my stove now! Thanks..

I was nervous the first time I pulled the augers too, I had read too many forum posts about people who misaligned them and had horrible noises coming from their stoves, but after I did it the first time I realized that it was really no big deal and that even if I misaligned them I could just loosen the bolts and adjust them.

It feels good to know you can service the stove!

Status
Not open for further replies.