Englander 25 pdvc customer service says it can’t run on a stat but the manual says otherwise whatâ

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Alec said:
Are there any englander stoves that cycle on and off with a thermostat?

Alec

The stove imacman has can as can a large number of the England stoves, his stove can also run in high/low.

I believe all of their top feed stoves can, to find out which ones can or can not, you can visit the England website and down load the manual for any stove you are interested in.

I run my 25 PDVC (in the garage) off the thermostat terminals and my stove operates great this way. For me it`s the simplest way vs fumbling with that hard to read touch pad which can be far too complicated for the uninitiated. Especially since there is little in the manual covering it. Their hot line service is uneqalled but most calls/problems might have been eliminated if the manual was written better or the control better designed or simplified. The learning curve for this stove is high for non mechanically inclined folks. Fortunately I`m mechanically inclined. That complaining all said , I really do like my PDVC .
Macman is right. High is whatever you set it for and when the themo is satisfied it reverts to a low setting . I love it!

Alec said:

Alec

Mine does.. 25-EP. I believe all of the auto start stoves do as well.

I have a Skytech 5301P.

http://www.skytechsystem.com/

Mine does.. 25-EP. I believe all of the auto start stoves do as well.

I have a 25 PDV-C, it is auto ignite, but will not shut itself down and restart. I have it on a programmable t-stat, and it runs on 6 heat and 8 blower when calling for heat, and on 1 heat 8 blower when not calling for heat. it works great for me. The only thing I really would have liked is if I could program it to come on before we wake up, and then again before we get home from work. I do not leave it runnig 24/7 yet because of crawlspace pipes freezing of forced hot water lines that do not run when stove is on.
I do have my own version of the "therm guard" that i will utilize when temps get lower.

John

Should i be able to see the the feed rate automatically go to a number 1 setting when it reaches the desired temperature? And cycle from lo to high as needed?

thanks

Alec

Alec said:
Should i be able to see the the feed rate automatically go to a number 1 setting when it reaches the desired temperature? And cycle from lo to high as needed?

thanks

Alec

No. Nothing will change on the control pad.

Even if you hit the buttons during the time the stove is on Lo, it will still show whatever setting you previously programmed.

Alec said:

Alec

I think Smokey is correct....the top feed (newer) designs like the 10-cpm and the EP will do both Hi-Lo and On-Off. (my 10-cpm does both)

So how will i know if it actually goes into lo from high. Sorry i just still think it is in high with the amount of pellets its using.

Thanks

Alec

Alec said:
So how will i know if it actually goes into lo from high. Sorry i just still think it is in high with the amount of pellets its using.

Thanks

Alec

If the stove is on a t-stat it is going to burn what it needs to reach set point and provided you keep the heat exchanger clean and the convection blower clean what it uses for pellets will be the minimum to do the job (provided you haven't set the t-stat so low that the low setting on the stove can increase the temperature at the t-stat.

Why do you think it is burning too many pellets?

There is nothing magic about these stoves.

I have it set for 13 degrees, and i have checked that with a thermometer. So what i did was to set it back to 10 degrees to see if i noticed a difference and it was still burning the same amount of pellets. The thermostat i have has a dial on it to control it and you can hear it click when i turn it down. So i believe it has hit temperature. Alec

Alec said:
I have it set for 13 degrees, and i have checked that with a thermometer. So what i did was to set it back to 10 degrees to see if i noticed a difference and it was still burning the same amount of pellets. The thermostat i have has a dial on it to control it and you can hear it click when i turn it down. So i believe it has hit temperature. Alec

Did you remember to remove the jumper when you installed the t-stat?

Ok disconnect the t-stat and see if it burns fewer pellets.

What setting did you put the stove in after you connected the t-stat?

You can then call England and they will get things figured out.

You have as possibilities:

Short in the t-stat wire.
T-stat not actually opening its points.
Bum controller.

Alec said:
.....So what i did was to set it back to 10 degrees to see if i noticed a difference and it was still burning the same amount of pellets.....

Give it 10-15 minutes after stat stops calling for heat and see what happens. The stove does not go to "Lo" instantly. It will take a few minutes for you to notice a change......the pellets already in the burn pot have to burn down some.

If it has two augers (upper and lower) it will have to clear the pellets that the upper has deposited. It will take a couple of minutes for the pellet flow to even out, the feed rate controls the timing of the upper auger the lower runs at a constant speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.