Englander 25-PDVC - What is this part?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe B One925

Sep 19, 2014
Sturbridge, MA
Hi All,

Today while running my stove (purchased Oct 2014), I heard a sound of something dropping. Upon looking through the glass I noticed a metal piece on my lower auger.

I have no clue how this got in there since I just cleaned it a couple hrs prior.

Would anyone be able to let me know what this piece is? The stove appears to be running fine, blower, motor, both augers working as they have been the last few months since purchasing.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    41.7 KB · Views: 176
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 172
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 168
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 162
Hey Smokey...I agree it looks like a latch too. Shy of re-shutting down the stove I can't see where the latch would come from. What puzzles me is that it was in the lower auger area when I found it. I'm not sure of any latches at the top of the inside part of the stove.

Figured it out! Looks like it is the right lid latch. I'm not sure how it got in the lower auger, but I'm happy I was hear to catch that before it caused any damage.

Thanks Smokey for your input since it led to the solution!

It came down via the auger system in all likely hood, you might want to find the rest of it.

I did find a washer that was holding onto it too..I'm surprised that the latch was able to fit down that system. Your right thought I should track down all the pieces...

WTF ! Never seen or heard of this before !

OK, you need to find two nuts and one lock washer.

thats the hopper latch alright. i cannot believe it passed through both augers with no issues!!!

Yeah, me too !
I would have thought that one of the augers would have jammed up big time, and that would have been one big PITA to remove.

I know I've let the hopper empty completely and after the latch went through I couldn't find anything else. I'm shocked and thankful it didn't jam anything up. I was fortunate to have been home working when it happened. I bet it would have jammed the bottom auger eventually .. Phew!

I hate to say this but did you also remove both augers, those other pieces could still be in the feed system waiting to bite you on the hind quarters.

Just a friendly reminder of Murpy's Law is still in force.

Last edited:
The only piece missing is the nut, everything else is accounted for. It could have been sucked up when I cleaned the stove a couple days back. I plan on cleaning it out today, so we'll see if I can locate anything. I haven't removed the augers yet, i'm a bit hesitant to get into that during this cold snap.

The only piece missing is the nut, everything else is accounted for. It could have been sucked up when I cleaned the stove a couple days back. I plan on cleaning it out today, so we'll see if I can locate anything. I haven't removed the augers yet, i'm a bit hesitant to get into that during this cold snap.

Pull both augers and check, it's better to be safe than sorry, a snapped auger is no fun and a PITA when it's this cold outside !

My opinion ONLY.
If the nut did fall into the hopper, I really do not see how that
would damage either. It would have to get wedged in between the auger
and tube, I don't see how that could happen.

But then...;em

I'll be turning off the stove shortly for its 2 day cleaning, and see what comes of it. It's been perfectly quiet like it has been since day 1. Aside note, I've noticed since day 1 essentially, that blower speed sounds the same at 8 / 9 as it does at 5. Does that mean it doesn't really make sense to go above that if it 'sounds' the same?
I was just curious what others had experienced, if there is a noticeable difference. I know i hear the difference from 1-3, and 3-5, but thereafter it doesn't sound like there is an increase in 'speed' or push whatever you want to call it.

Status
Not open for further replies.