Englander 25 pdvc

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alec

Dec 12, 2011
Toronto Canada
The problem i am having is that the top feed auger seems to jam up. This problem has happened twice to me now. So the way i resolve this is to disconnect the motor and spin the auger a few times by hand till it spins with ease. Has anyone else had this problem? it only seem to happen after i fill the hopper to the top.

Thanks

Alec

i,ve only had mine jam once on my PDV but all i did was scoop the few pellets
left out of the hopper and vacum out sone of the dust and pellets that were
left and that semed to solve it

Alec said:
The problem i am having is that the top feed auger seems to jam up. This problem has happened twice to me now. So the way i resolve this is to disconnect the motor and spin the auger a few times by hand till it spins with ease. Has anyone else had this problem? it only seem to happen after i fill the hopper to the top.

Thanks

Alec

Had my first real problem this year with the upper auger jamming...It only happens when I run my free NEWP....Has never happened with any other brand except these.....I've since had to start mixing with other pellets to keep from happening...IDK if the pellets are too soft or what....always winds up being a bunch of crushed, fine sawdust stuck in the auger....I also vacuum my pellets so I know it's not a fines issue.....Maybe it's pellets maybe it's mechanical.....Have you tried different pellets yet?

Fines (that dust in the bottom portion of bags) and long( 2 inch) pellets..Caused mine to jam. Cures for me: sift out fines from bottoms of bags, I have a 1/8 inch screen homemade bag that I sift em in(some bags have loads of fines.. some hardly any). Long pellets are hard to spot, watch for em when you fill the hopper. Once weekly I allow the stove to run out of pellets..and vacuum out the hopper and auger area..I've had no more problems.

ditto on the fines issue. I discovered that last year the same way...constant jamming. It started happening when I switched to American Wood Fibers. I love the pellets though for low ash and heat, so now all I do is dump the last bit of each bag into an old collander and sift out the fines. problem solved.

I had a few consecutive jams on our PDV, after having it run perfectly for a couple of years. I've had only a few jams in this stove during the 4 years of constant use, for me, usually associated with longer pellets. Normally I could clear the jam by simply wiggling the auger motor several times, causing the pellets to drop down. This time, it jammed up again after about an hour or so. Upon removing the top auger to clear the 2nd or 3rd jam, I found that the chute between the two augers was partially blocked by a whole bunch of mashed pellets. I cleared this out, and then had no issues afterward.

It might be worth a look. it's really not difficult to get the motor off and the auger out, one screw holding the motor onto the auger and four screws holding the auger to the feed assembly.

Good luck!

mine did this a lot when i first got it. i took out the upper auger, and filed off some of the burrs that were on it from being cast. ade it a lot smoother. when i reinstalled it, i made sure the auger turned all the way around very freely by hand, then tightened the 4 nuts. then checked it again. then i gave it a shot of high temp grease with a grease gun. it has a fitting. then mounted the motor back on. since that, i havent had a single auger jam.

another thing that helped when it was jamming, was i'd leave the back of the stove off. when the auger jammed i could unplug stove, pull the auger motor up and down rapidly and this was enough to free it without making a big hopper emptying ratchet wielding production.

good luck, its a great stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.