Englander 25 Pellet Stove Upper Auger Won't Turn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spence

Oct 27, 2013
Missouri
Hi all...

I know this thread isn't new, but I couldn't find a similar circumstance to ours. We have the 25 Englander Pellet Stove. The lower auger wasn't turning although the auger motor felt warm so I figured the lower auger was just stuck. I switched the upper and lower auger motors and cleaned out both. The stove worked great after this for one time.

Now the lower auger runs great but the upper auger won't turn and the motor didn't feel warm at all. I cleaned it out and still no luck. Is it a wiring issue or is the motor just shot (since it wasn't initially turning w/ the lower auger either).

Thanks in advance.

IMO switch it one more time to confirm it's the motor. But it sounds like the auger motor to me. Could be a short in the motor that only happens after it heats up.

The only way to check a motor is to hotwire it to a power source. It shouldn't matter which terminal on the motor gets connected to the black or the white wires. All that will happen is the direction the motor turns. If you don't feel confident playing with 120vAC, let an expert do it...

the issue followed the motor, i say motor is bad (note the top auger cycles where th elower runs constant, so its not surprising that the motor which got hot on the bottom didnt on the top.

Like others said. On the double auger designs make sure that isn't that build up at the end of the Auger/auger tube and that it's positioned correctly which can add some stress and cause premature failure to that lower motor. Some use some DryMoly spray to prevent any build up and have smooth auger turning. If there's build up chip it away, carefully. A tell tale sign is moaning or squeeking.

It was a smart idea rotating those motors.

Last edited:
If the windings, on the old motor, don't look discolored, you might want to open up the gear box, and have a look in there.

When our motor croaked, after replacing it, I took the cover off the old one - took out a couple of the easy to get at gears, and reassembled it (spreading the grease back around)

It worked fine, afterwards, was reinstalled, and the new motor, is left as a spare.

My theory, is, there was some small chunk of something, that got caught in the minute space between the gears - and jammed it.

I installed the new motor. So far, so great. It's been working really well so far and hopefully it continues. We just bought the house so I inherited a pellet stove that wasn't really taken care of in the past. With a little TLC, this stove will rock the winter. Again, I appreciate the inputs.

Cheers,
Spence

Reactions: stoveguy2esw
I installed the new motor. So far, so great. It's been working really well so far and hopefully it continues. We just bought the house so I inherited a pellet stove that wasn't really taken care of in the past. With a little TLC, this stove will rock the winter. Again, I appreciate the inputs.

Cheers,
Spence

well put,

a stove thats been abused when its rejuvenated by a new owner will blossom. the hulls on most pellet stoves are bulletproof, its the components that suffer. getting some TLC a stove will respond and be a reliable appliance again.

this would be true of any stove by any manufacturer, just happens this one is one of mine, im happy it has owners who seem committed to taking care of it

to the OP, should you run into any questions or issues, feel free to drop me a PM or call me. always happy to chat

Reactions: stayfitz
Status
Not open for further replies.