Englander 25-PUF Problems....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ResQmedic121

Hearth Supporter
Feb 20, 2008
Johnsonville NY
Just installed a 25-PUF and the specs are as follows. Vented 3inch pipe out the back 24 or so inches to clean out tee then up 4 feet. Burning New England Pellets (Schuyler Plant) and the "3 buttons" on the bottom are 1-9-1. On 2-3 (Blower speed same as feed rate) the pellets do not fully burn and the burn pot fills up but maintains weak flame and throws little heat, so much not so that the Room blower shuts off. Glass is BLACK on the side but not in the center. I turned it to 5-5 and it seems to be burning well. I was burning the Same pellet in my 25-pvdp and burned like a champ. As far as cleaned did it yesterday before the install. OAK not hooked up. Thanks for any help.

Well, inless you have a weak (bad) combustion blower, it sounds like a dirty stove. When you cleaned it, you removed & cleaned both blowers, opened the ash traps behind the ash dump covers and also the heat exchanger tubes and cleaned them out completely?

Did you check the door seal with the "dollar bill" test?

While it was out, it would have been a good time to do the leaf blower outside, right off the back of the stove pipe.

ResQmedic121 said:
Just installed a 25-PUF and the specs are as follows. Vented 3inch pipe out the back 24 or so inches to clean out tee then up 4 feet. Burning New England Pellets (Schuyler Plant) and the "3 buttons" on the bottom are 1-9-1. On 2-3 (Blower speed same as feed rate) the pellets do not fully burn and the burn pot fills up but maintains weak flame and throws little heat, so much not so that the Room blower shuts off. Glass is BLACK on the side but not in the center. I turned it to 5-5 and it seems to be burning well. I was burning the Same pellet in my 25-pvdp and burned like a champ. As far as cleaned did it yesterday before the install. OAK not hooked up. Thanks for any help.

Did you actually see this stove burn prior to purchasing?

You also need to verify that the hopper lid shuts tight and that the gasket there is good.

It is also required for that unit to have outside air.

SmokeyTheBear said:
You also need to verify that the hopper lid shuts tight and that the gasket there is good.

It is also required for that unit to have outside air.

Yep, and the ash pan has a gasket too.

On the low burn situation you are having, reduce the low burn feed rate and/or increase the low burn air. I'd try increasing the low burn air and see if the heat produced in low burn goes up and the time to pileup increases.

A call to Englander is generally in order for that. It is also possible the prior owner changed the settings.

But you will not have much luck with those adjustments if the stove has air leaks/bypasses.

Yeah I watched it burn for 10 minutes and everything looked good, The Glass was Dirty "Black on the edges" when I saw it by the previous owner stated he has been burning it and had not had a chance to clean the glass. The gaskets all look good, What is the Dollar Bill test? I am also having problems now with the auger jamming. I think I may have bought someone Elses problem..... but I only paid 400.00 so I guess I have a little room to play with------ Very little, like my patience

SmokeyTheBear said:
On the low burn situation you are having, reduce the low burn feed rate and/or increase the low burn air. I'd try increasing the low burn air and see if the heat produced in low burn goes up and the time to pileup increases.........

Smokey, he is already at 9 on the LBA, which is as high as the burn air goes, and he is at 1 on the LFF, and that's as low as that goes too.

That's why I suggested dirty stove, or air leaks. No way that stove should be at 1-9-1, and still getting a dirty burn, IMO.

ResQmedic121 said:
Yeah I watched it burn for 10 minutes and everything looked good, The Glass was Dirty "Black on the edges" when I saw it by the previous owner stated he has been burning it and had not had a chance to clean the glass. The gaskets all look good, What is the Dollar Bill test? I am also having problems now with the auger jamming. I think I may have bought someone Elses problem..... but I only paid 400.00 so I guess I have a little room to play with------ Very little, like my patience

For $400 you can afford a little patience. Sounds like a good deal. Macman and Smokey gave good advice . Get those air /gaskets / leaks checked and be sure to call Englander tech sevice. They don`t mind that the stove is used , they will help.

macman,

I am never certain if folks are giving those numbers in the correct order. It is like being told the stove is clean.

The dollar bill test is to insert a piece of paper in the door (stove off now) and seeing if it presents resistance when pulled out. You do this in several places on each side of the door. If there is resistance then the seal is good. Every gasketed door should be tested and any gaskets that don't produce a good seal replaced.

Ok, back to basics.

When you did your cleaning did you remove the combustion blower and clean the fins and the cavity the blower sits in? After burning a ton or so this one little item can mean an additional 2 or 3 days between cleanings on my puffer.

Instead of me posing 20 questions would you please describe the cleaning in the order you cleaned the stove.

I seem to remember a mention of a gasket for the burn pot as well, does your burn pot have a gasket (it prevents air loss around the pot and raises it a bit more in the pot holder allowing longer operation between cleanings)? You might want to talk to Englander about that (I think it was a modification).

I have the esw 25 pvdc and the factor setting on the three bottom button are 6-4-1 call englander tech they can help

kscowboy said:
I have the esw 25 pvdc and the factor setting on the three bottom button are 6-4-1 call englander tech they can help

Calling ESW is a good idea, but remember that all their stoves come with a little different bottom button settings. Easiest way to get back to factory setting is to do a control board reset.

macman said:
kscowboy said:

Calling ESW is a good idea, but remember that all their stoves come with a little different bottom button settings. Easiest way to get back to factory setting is to do a control board reset.
Macman, How do you do a board reset?

Status
Not open for further replies.