1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Englander 28-3500 furnace install / mods

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by mustash29, Dec 29, 2012.

1. denn

denn Member

Loc:
    South Central PA.
    I didn't read the whole topic, but 1/2" slots for wood ashes is about ideal.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. 04HemiRam2500

04HemiRam2500 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SW PA
    Nice Mods.
  3. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Even if coals did fall into the ash pan, they would still burn and give off heat right? Not just a waste.
  4. mustash29

mustash29 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    SE CT
    Sort of, depending on how the air controls are set. The main control washes the glass and feeds the firebox. The spin draft knob allows for "underfire" air and will tend to burn down the coal bed fast, leaving little coals for a quick re-fire. Allowing large coals to drop into the ash pan also hinders the ability to hold a healthy coal bed.

I believe this beast would be SOOO much better if it had dedicated secondary combustion tubes.
  5. mustash29

Loc:
    SE CT
    Just a little update.

I routinely burn a tank of oil in the summer for DHW & shoulder heat, and a tank of oil in the winter for DHW, shoulder heat and back up heat.

I filled the oil tank on Nov 2. It's been a chilly winter to say the least. I am now at a needle width below 1/4 tank. Wood use has been about 3.5 cord so far.
  6. mustash29

Loc:
    SE CT
    And about 16 gallons of ash.
  7. Badfish740

Badfish740 Minister of Fire

I'm at 100 gallons so far for this winter, but probably will have burned about 50 more by the time they come for the end of heating season fill in April. That will be a lot for me-I believe last year I only burned about 50 gallons the entire winter, but temperatures were milder and I had more wood ready to go. I ran through my seasoned wood by about the second week of February. I've been doing pallet wood fires now and then and trying to use the oil heat sparingly.
  8. M1sterM

M1sterM Member

Loc:
    Northcountry
    Have you seen the
    Have you seen this tread, yet? Looks pretty easy. If I end up with another Englander Add-on, I really want to try something similar, for fun.

http://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/modifying-a-central-wood-furnace-for-secondary-burn.54712/
  9. mustash29

Loc:
    SE CT
    Not interested in trying to add secondaries to the Englander, I will be replacing it with an Empyre 100 gasser instead.