Englander 30 Hearth Stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FireAnt

Minister of Fire
Dec 18, 2009
Central CT
Hey Everyone,

Today I was splitting wood with my dad (We have a good friend of ours who has been cutting down trees and letting us take the wood). We have burned our fireplaces forever and know they aren't efficient but keep on burning anyway (it's a fire thing)... I have wanted to get a stove forever but haven't really been proactive about it till finding this site. I have been making my wife nuts with stove/insert talk all winter. While splitting today my dad said he wanted to buy me a stove. I would have to buy the liner which is fine by me.
I have an existing fireplace (typical 1970's fireplace) and was thinking of an insert. But after thinking about it more and discussing it with my wife we really like the look of a stove better.
I was looking at the Summersheat 1800 but I keep on hearing the saying "You can build a small fire in a big stove but you can't build a big fire in a small stove". With that being said I am really going towards a SH 2200 (Englander NC-30). There is something about the stove I just like. My house is a 1500sqf ranch with a pretty open floor plan so it may be over kill but I think that an NC-13 may be over worked set back in a masonry fireplace.

The stove will stick out a little so I will have to build my hearth out about 6 inches to use the 30 but the job doesn't look to bad. My wife would love to redo the fireplace anyway so this is a great excuse.

My FP dimensions are 35" wide and 30" tall at the front. It is 26 1/2 inches across the back

For those who have stoves in their fireplaces, how do you like them? If anyone can post pics please do. How would a stove of this size heat?

If I left anything out please let me know.

Thanks,

Anthony

The first posting for the 30NC was by moderator BrotherBart. His is in a fireplace. It heats like a ball of fire.

BrotherBart has a 30 in a hearth stove installation. I'm sure he'll be along shortly and can post a pic. I dunno about the fireplace opening height requirement...you sure want to make certain the stove will fit properly. I'm going to take the liberty of editing your thread title to get the real subject of discussion out front...hope you don't mind. Rick

Thanks fossil much better.

Works a treat. Here is Brownie having a afternoon snack twenty minutes ago. My fireplace is 33" high at the opening and required the six inch legs, not the nine inch that come standard now on the stove. I don't think ESW has changed that height dimension on the website since they went to nine inch legs. I asked them to update it in 2006.

I don't think you can make a 30 even with six inch legs work in a 30" high fireplace. Even if you managed to get it in there somehow and somehow got the flue collar connected then the convection air coming off the heat shield would all be trapped behind the fireplace lintel.

Attachments

• brownie jan 10 2009.jpg
    brownie jan 10 2009.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 425
BrotherBart said:
Works a treat. Here is Brownie having a afternoon snack twenty minutes ago.

That's nice! BB what are you FP dimensions and homes sqf if you don't mind me asking. Does it put out good heat being in the FP?

The house is 2,500 sq. ft. and for all intents and purposes the stove is heating about 2,000 of that. It is a center hall colonial.

Would it be overkill in a 1500 sq. ft ranch?

FireAnt said:
Would it be overkill in a 1500 sq. ft ranch?

Probably not. I just don't think it will fit in that fireplace.

Thanks BB you've been a huge help. How do you think the 13 would work? Or should I be looking at an insert?

FireAnt said:
How do you think the 13 would work? Or should I be looking at an insert?

It should do the heating job just fine. A concern would be that stuffed into a fireplace it is good to have the blower. And I don't know how much space you need behind a 13 for that A/C-16 blower.

But if you could use a fixed elbow to connect the liner that would let you move a good bit of the stove out of the fireplace you should be just fine.

here's what the ac-16 blower looks like

794909701709.jpg

here's the stats from lowes website

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=136070-76845-AC-16

Two-speed blower with 3-position switch (Off, Low, High)
Evens heat flow throughout your heating area by circulating warm air over your stove and around your room
Works with all of our freestanding wood stove models with "12" or "13" in the model number
Attaches to Rear Heat Shield with four screws that are pre-installed on stove
Compact size and black finish make it an inconspicuous addition to your stove

Fireplace Accessory Type: Other
Color / Finish: Satin Black
Package Quantity: 1.0
Indoor / Outdoor: Indoor
Length (Inches): 7.0
Width (Inches): 8.0
Depth (Inches): 7.0
Fireplace Accessory Material: Metal
Color Family: Blacks
Finish Family: Other

I have the summers heat 12 in my fireplace. my fireplace sounds almost exactly the same dimensions as yours. it was difficult to get the flue attached, but not TOO difficult. The 12 should be about the same height as the 13.

If you have a mantel, then you will need a shield.

FireAnt said:
For those who have stoves in their fireplaces, how do you like them?
I forgot to answer this part!

Coming from a fireplace like that it was night and day difference. I go through 1/3-1/2 the wood that I used on the fireplace. There used to be this area in front of the fireplace that wasn't comfortable to sit in because your back would be cold from the huge draft of air coming to the fireplace and the front of you would be blazing hot because of the radiant heat. that draft is no longer there with the stove.

One thing I miss is the radiant heat near the fireplace. It often made the room feel much warmer than the wood stove can, but with the woodstove the heat transfers to the rest of the house better than the fireplace ever let it. (my case is a little different than you, though, I'm not trying to heat the whole house with it)

btw, I actually said I use 1/3-1/2 less wood, but that's not entirely true. I love my woodstove so much that I now burn 24/7 unless we are traveling.

I'm not sure about this, but i have about 2.3 cords of wood saved for this winter and that seems to be enough for my burning habits. I'd suggest that the 13 for a house of your size would need 5 cords to heat the whole place all winter. I hope I'm estimating high, but that's what i'd aim for if I was you.

Status
Not open for further replies.