Englander 30 or 13

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cre73

Hearth Supporter
Sep 2, 2008
Central Illinois
All right guys been trolling the forums and have narrowed my choices down to a few stoves. I have a 1600sf ranch with cathedrel ceilings open area includes kitchen, dining room and living room, which the stove would be installed in, with the bedrooms at the other end of the house. The stoves I am looking at are the englander 30 & 13NC's, with a couple drolets running in third place. I am worried about sizing I here that the 30 may run us out of the house or the 13 may not be enough. The house is pretty well insulated but the windows are a little older. Your opinions will be appreciated. Also looking for a complete install kit for a cathedral ceiling if anybody has a part number for that I would appreciate it. Thanks

I would go with the 30, it is rated for 2200 sqft so it is not even oversized for your 1600 sqft home with good
insulation and older windows.

I'd lean towards the 30 as well, especially with cathedral ceilings and if you plan on using the stove as the primary heat source. If its just supplimental, then the 13 would do the trick.

Simpson makes a cathedral through the ceiling kit. You can check em' out online.

No question, go for the 30. Remember 2,200 sq ft rating is just about a perfect house, well insulated and everything. For the little difference in price go big!
I have this stove for my Dad's small cabin and you can always open a window a little if it gets too hot.

Make sure you install a nice ceiling fan for that cathedral ceiling, it will make that room feel a lot more comfortable

I am sure Mike will chime in, he is the Englander "god" and has helped me out many times

Yeah go with the 30..."running you out of the house is just a figure of speech". The worst that will happen is that the 30 will make you appreciate your iffy windows a little more.

'nuther vote for the 30. The 13 would do it, but you would probably have to stay on it pretty good. The 30 should do it without breaking pace. The 30 will also be better at over-nighters.

I put a 30 in my 1600 sq.foot split level last winter.

It is certainly capable of running us out of the house, but as I started getting the hang of it, I started learning how to control it. I decided I'd rather learn to control a stove that is slightly oversized than have to push an undersized stove all the time.

Once you get the hang of load size and reloading interval you'll be in good shape. As you plan for next year, you can try to make sure to get different types of wood to give you even more control of heat output.

-SF

looking at your post i think i would echo the members here, i think the 30 would be the ticket. while the 13 is a good little unit as well and may be able to handle the heating chore, i've always been a fan of bigger units that can "cruise" rather than having "just enough stove' its easier to back down a bigger unit than to push a smaller one in my opinion.

with the high ceiling i second (or third , whatever it is) the motion on a ceiling fan to help distribute the heat.

above all though i would be remiss if i didnt say thanks for your confidence in my product line, and welcome to the ESW family!

stoveguy2esw said:
above all though i would be remiss if i didnt say thanks for your confidence in my product line, and welcome to the ESW family!

Well. When is the reunion this year?

The tee shirts are ready.

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 328
BrotherBart said:
stoveguy2esw said:

i GOTTA get some of those printed! i love that shirt :lol:

Shoot, I need an Englander...the Lopi folks never seem to have reunions :down: ...let alone the Century Hearth folks. :gulp: Rick

fossil said:
Shoot, I need an Englander...the Lopi folks never seem to have reunions :down: ...let alone the Century Hearth folks. :gulp: Rick

perhaps they should have a nice friendly rep from the manufacturer hanging out in here having as much fun as i am. i do wish there were more manufacturer reps who were regulars, (and im not dissing anyone for not being here) they probably dont know the wealth of information they can gain from this and other forums of this type.i for one have definately "learned more than ive taught" by far.

stoveguy2esw said:
...i for one have definately "learned more than ive taught" by far.

I wouldn't be so sure about that, Mike. Rick

CFM is getting ready for their annual bankruptcy reunion Rick. I'm sure you would be welcome.

Gosh, has it already been a year since CFM's last bankruptcy reunion? Time flies, doesn't it? %-P Rick

BrotherBart said:
stoveguy2esw said:

I would SO buy one of these shirts if they were available!

Well I have used both. Not the same house but similar in size. But one is much farther north.

The 13 is small but I believe it gives off more heat because it is much easier to keep the secondary burn going. In fact I couldn't "damp it" back enough to stop the secondary burn. It was very efficient on wood usage as well. The only real complaint I had was that it was impossible to get more than 8 hrs. on a stove load. If you get this one never put pallet wood or any kiln dried in it. It goes darn near explosive in the burn chamber. But even with this the stove and flue temp never went above 500F so it is a very good design.

The 30... This is what I'm running now. I figured since I'm farther north it would be prudent to get the bigger one. The real benefit is the longer burn times. I can get 12 Hrs. of good even heat. The problem I have with this one is the fact that it takes a while to get the temps up to get the secondary burn even then it's hard to maintain the "fire storm" without keeping the damper at half or better. So you end up burning more wood and getting a lot more heat but the burn times aren't that different in the longer run. So with this stove you really gotta need the heat.

To close I'd decide if you need around 50,000 BTU's an hr or the 70,000 of the 30. You will be getting these figures if you burn it right which I expect you to want to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.