1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Englander 30NC clearance to combustibles?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by CenterTree, Nov 28, 2013.

1. CenterTree

CenterTree Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SouthWest-Central PA

On page 5 of the 30NC manual it states the clearances to combustibles as below:

Side and Rear shields, single wall chimney connector: = 19-in

Side and Rear shields, double wall connector: = 20-in

My question is, why would a set up with DOUBLE wall require more side clearance that a setup with SINGLE wall?

The stove body is the same either way, right??

--------------------

Also, I do not see listed any side clearances for a stove that has NO side heat shields. Mine has a rear shield only.
    Since the side shields are an OPTION, why wouldn't the manual notate the info for a standard unit that has no side shields?

I would imagine the clearance should increase, (with no side shields) but by how much?

Thanks!! :)

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Yes, I've asked for a clarification of this section in the past. The rear-shield only case does not seem to be covered in the table. Mike told us that the clearances are as tested. The stove may have run a bit hotter with the double-wall pipe connected. Call Englander support or PM Mike to see if they have tested clearances for the rear shield only.
  3. CenterTree

CenterTree Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SouthWest-Central PA
    OK, thanks.

Really, I don't see how they would ever sell any side shields if there seems to be NO gain in distance to combustibles.
    :confused: (per the manual's chart)

Attached Files:

4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Side shields + rear shield greatly reduces the rear clearance.
  5. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    I have 19" flue pipe to rear wall, Double wall flue. I have about 36" to a side I/2 wall ( book case than is now a wood storage rack) other side is wide open. side heat shields would reduce the 30" a bit ( think they about a $250 add on)

Attached Files: