Englander 55SHP22 advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

BackDoc

Jan 5, 2018
Maryland
Hello all, I am new to the forum and new to pellet stoves. I live in north eastern Maryland and for the most part our winters are relatively mild. This week will be in the teens during the day and near zero at night. Prior to installing this stove I ran a wood stove that my uncle built from old CSX rail road track blades. It is a beast but I got tired of cutting, splitting, stacking, hauling, carrying wood. I bought a used Englander on a whim off of Craigslist. I paid $500 for it. It was made in 2004. I brought it home, tore it apart and cleaned it, lubed what had grease fittings (the upper auger motor) and put it all back together.

Read this forum extensively to learn what I could and lit it off. It seemed to work fine but was going out after about 2-3 hours. I talked to a tech at Englander and got some advice. Nothing seemed to work. It wasn't the mystery hole that gives people issues with Englanders. I took the exhaust blower out and cleaned the exhaust area extensively. When I put it back together I accidentally pushed the insulation off to the side and the wires to the exhaust blower melted and caused a short. I didn't catch it and thought I just blew a fuse. Looked everything over and replaced the fuse and plugged the stove back in. All was well, until I dropped the hopper lid and it blew the fuse with a pretty impressive flash. Fried the blower motor and the control panel. Now I am in to this stove for about $850. Ordered a new exhaust motor and new control panel and installed these items. Paid VERY close attention to the wiring and made sure I wouldn't melt anything else. Fired it up and it ran fine. For about 2 hours. I was running Turman hardwood pellets. Checked everything I could and figured I may have a dud. I

have noticed the Englanders don't get a lot of love on this forum and if I had it to do over with again I would have bought a Harman but it is what it is. Went to my pellet supply place and they told me to try a different brand of pellet. I bought 2 bags of Ultra white pine pellets and this stove hasnt missed a beat. Runs great. Now, my question after running on like I have is this: The stove is clean, running well and stays lit....how is the best way to know the best settings for fuel feed and blower speed? I understand it is trial and error but is there a theory on what is best? Increase fan speed or increase fuel feed or do both at once? Any Englander owners have any input? BTW, the reason the stove was shutting off with the Turmans is because they were too long and were blocking the hopper hole to the top auger. The Ultras are about half the length of the Turmans.

After your stove is running(out of start up). You can adjust the heat leval from 1-9 and your convection blower from 1-9. The bottom 3 pads are for fine tuning feed rate feed air and air on start. If you are running on on heat leval 1 or 2 only. Factory settings for them are 5-4-1 you can adjust the first 2 (trial and error) for flame optimization and economy. The last one stays at 1

Ssyko, thanks for the reply. I have the control panel at factory settings for the bottom 3 buttons. I am running the feed rate at 4 and the blower speed at 6. I was wondering if there is an optimal average that people run these on. If I want it hotter do I increase feed and blower speed simultaneously or increase feed first and see if there is any change and then change the blower speed?

No magical settings. If you want more heat turn up the heat range the fan speed should always be higher than the heat for safety reasons. I leave my fan on 8 all the time.

Thanks again, I did not know that the fan speed should always be higher than the heat. I am going to go down now and try 6/7 and see if I get more heat. Supposed to be 3 degrees tonight. So far I am holding steady at 69 degrees on the main floor of my cape cod. The stove is in the basement.

I would go 7-9 and drop the heat as needed. It will get the house warmed right up then you can adjust down if need be.

Ok, thanks again. And by drop the heat you mean I should go 7 on the heat and 9 on the fan and then back the heat down from 7 while leaving the fan on 9?

Yeah. You may have to raise it. The temps we are getting i would leave the fan on 9 and adjust your heat to where it maintains your comfort level. When you get down to heat lvl 4 you can drop the fan speed. Your gonna have to fine tune it to where you want it