1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Englander Add-On Furnace

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by corey148, Oct 4, 2012.

1. corey148

corey148 Member

Loc:
    Western MD
    Does anybody have any experience with the Englander Add-On Furnaces. How well do they heat and how long do fires last inside of them. I was looking at the model 28-3500. I believe Home Depot sells this model for around $1200.00

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cnpeele

cnpeele New Member

Loc:
    Virginia
    Corey,

I installed a 28-3500 last January and heated relied on it for the rest of the colder months here in central Virginia. I did not have the most seasoned wood and a fire would last 5 or 6 hours. I am hoping for a little better results this year as I have drier wood. I have a 1300 square foot home built in 1926. For the square footage, it is overkill, but my home is not as well-insulated as newer homes. That being said I think it does really well. I bought the unit off a guy who had a 2500+ square foot home and he claimed it worked well for him too, but his chimney cracked and he didn't want to repair it. I like keeping the mess in the basement. The furnace has pretty good damping controls, although this is surely one of the more primitive models out there. Other have auto-dampers and all that, but it comes with a higher price. This is my first experience with a wood stove or wood furnace, so don't place too much weight on my opinion. For all the work I have done preparing for this winter, I am very much looking forward to firing up the furnace. Let me know if you have any other questions on the install or operation. Hope this helps.