Englander hack?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

azs

Oct 2, 2012
Would I be able to start my englander pellet stove, then cut the power to it immediately and then power it again 8 hours later and have it start up? This seems to work a few minutes later, but it would all depend on how it times out during start-up. Also, is it bad to try this?

what model stove? Not a good practice for electronics

Reactions: johneh
No it needs a physical pressing of the pad to start

Yup. So when I physically press the pad to turn it on and then immediately disconnect power and reconnect power a few minutes later, it resumes the start up. I'm wondering if the same thing would happen 8 hours later. I could just try it. But like you said, that could be a bad idea for reasons I am interested in knowing. I figure that the timeout is either based on powered on seconds from when the button is pressed (in which case it shouldn't matter how long it's disconnected for) or just seconds (in which case it would timeout immediately).

Depending on what you're trying to do, you could do this with a thermostat. set the temp real low to "shut it off" and program it to come back up later. Of course, you could end up with cycling issues once its up to temp.

Eric

Englander’s 25pdv/pdvc’s don’t have on/off for a tstat only high/low

Ssyko, mine can do either.

Eric

Is it newer? Never seen one with an on/off. Would definitely be doable if thats the case

2009. I only know because when I went to first hook up my thermostat, I checked and it was O/O. I didn't want to burn up my igniter so I had to go in an switch it for H/L.

Eric

My stove will resume operation if I lose power, until my generator kicks in within a half minute or so. I’m pretty sure this, along with some other devices, have capacitors onboard that take a bit to discharge, that’s why it works. 8 hours, I would say no way.

Does your stove have a remote control? If so you could hack the remote with a timer relay, or use a smart home type device that would remember your remote frequency and you could program a timer.