Englander inserts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tickbitty

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 21, 2008
VA
Does anyone know if Englander has anything in the works for an insert that is bigger than the current models that heat "up to 1500" sq. feet?

Seems to me this is a good company turning out quality American made (Virginia made for that matter!) stoves at a really good price point, and I would love to patronize them, but these inserts aren't quite big enough to do the job for me.

I bought a fantastic older used EPA Englander insert that would heat more space (2000 sq) only to find that it required a raised hearth so I ended up selling it. I am now back to square one looking at Lopi and Regency inserts that cost considerably more. Just curious whether they plan to expand their line back to that higher range for inserts. The freestanding stoves seem to have more size options but clearance wise they are too hot for a fireplace install in my case and I don't have the square footage to bring it into the room.

Thank you for any info!

What about the Pacific Energy Super Insert? PE stoves tend to run a little less than the Lopi and Regency stoves.

fredarm said:
What about the Pacific Energy Super Insert? PE stoves tend to run a little less than the Lopi and Regency stoves.
Only one local dealer is listed as a PE dealer, and they don't actually have them or know anything about them, they will just order them for you, I guess. I didn't realize they cost any less, but I do know people here (on this webside) love them and they must be good stoves.

My main problem with the PE is that they require a bit of a raised hearth, while mine is flush. It doesn't have to be very tall, but still 2" presents a challenge for me. Right now I have a flush hearth, tile on wood, 18" wide. I am going to have it made non-combustible with the floor cut out and durock and/or some micore underneath, and extended out to 36" but due to the placement of the hearth in the room it really needs to remain flush to avoid really messing with the traffic patterns and doors etc in there. I suppose I could raise the insert alone, but then I end up with issues like the surround hanging off the ground and etc which was why I sold the Englander (It was supposed to be raised 6")

The main constraint appears to be the budget and fireplace size here. As noted before in many threads, it's not the mfg sq ftg rating that matters so much, it's the firebox size. Both the Englander and the PE Super have 2 cu ft boxes. The Regency 2400i has a slightly larger 2.3 cu ft firebox.

BeGreen said:
The main constraint appears to be the budget and fireplace size here. As noted before in many threads, it's not the mfg sq ftg rating that matters so much, it's the firebox size. Both the Englander and the PE Super have 2 cu ft boxes. The Regency 2400i has a slightly larger 2.3 cu ft firebox.

The Englander is a 1.8 cf firebox. One wine bottle cork short of 2.0.

Yes but both the Regency Medium (2.3 firebox) and Lopi Republic (2.2 firebox) that I am looking at are a little bigger, extend out of the firebox more and claim burn times of 8 to 10 hrs, and 70-75,000 BTUs and "up to 2000" sq ft.

This particular Englander claims a 1.8' firebox, "up to 1500" and 60,000 BTUs, while sitting mostly inside the fireplace. From 1.8 to 2.3 ends up being what is apparently a big enough difference to make a difference. I'm looking for something that is a little bigger for my house that's just under 1500 sq feet. Englander used to make bigger inserts, they don't seem to now, so I just wondered if anyone knows if they might offer them again some time in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.