Englander NC 13 (picked it up yesterday)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jason721

Nov 4, 2017
southern indiana
We have been looking into getting a new stove to replace our century s244. We were all set on the napoleon 1400. But the other day we we're at our local home Depot and was wondering what they had. Nothing was in store so I asked about wood stoves. Got handed some brochures and was told to look at home Depot online. Which I did. And done a search here as well.
Long story short. We went back to home depot and ordered the Englander NC 13. I believe this stove will have no problems heating our 1100 sq ft home.

The NC 13 is not as big as that Napoleon so burning all night with decent heat output might be a stretch, but it's bigger than the Century s244..

The NC 13 isn't as big as that Napoleon, but it will get closer to burning until morning than the Century does.
Have you been burning any of that Oak you got, or is it still too wet? Some dense woods like White Oak, Black Locust, Hickory, Dogwood or Hedge will stretch out the burn..

No oak ready yet. Next burning season should be good to go with oak, cherry and beech. These past couple of years I have only burnt walnut. I sold some walnut logs and could stand to see it go to waist. Still have some walnut to process.

Reactions: BobMcG
The 13 is a nice heater, and should handle 1100 Sf easy peasy.That's the plus.

The minus - be prepared for 4 -5 hour burn times max on seasoned firewood,

I love my 13, but often have wished I'd gone with a larger firebox.

Got an email stating my Englander was ready for pickup. It was a few days early. I was pleasantly surprised!
Once home I unloaded it and sat it in my pole barn. We unboxed it and at first sight I thought....well crap this tiny thing isn't much bigger than my s244!
Being a bit disappointed I went ahead and installed the leg kit. I already have a wood stove in my pole barn I'm going to hook it up in there and burn it in in there before moving it into the house.
Mean while I knew a buddy had an Englander stove but had no idea what model. Called him up and he says it's the 13 and not to be disappointed. Invited us over to check his out which he had going.....so we did. And I believe all my doubts were over as soon as I walked in. His home is a bit larger than ours and it was doing a great job. He days like others here have said. Burn time is 5 hours. Holds coals good though and can easily start back up in the morning. Keeping mine going through the night isn't a issue because I'm up a couple of times every night. Now I can't wait to install it!

Reactions: MAD MARK