Englander NCH 30 Smoke While Reloading

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

katwillny

Hey all, Just got and installed the NCH 30 and absolutely love it. Great stove. One thing I have noticed is that when I reload it, I get a face full of smoke. The flue damper is fully open so is the air control. Any suggestions? Thanks all.

A novice here but couple questions:

Where is stove vented? Into a chimney? does the chimney have a liner and what size/condition? Has the chimney been cleaned recently? What's the quality of the wood being burned? Does it happen all the time or only when stove is cool/cold and getting warmed up?

I would suspect some sort of a draft issue causing the blowback. Only other question- do you have any other fans or exhausts in the house running that are causing negative pressure?

That's a big single door to swing open and can pull a lot of air. I crack the door about an inch and wait a few seconds, then slowly pull the door open the rest of the way.

It also depends on where I am in the burn cycle. Are you loading this thing up and letting it burn in cycles? Or are you just adding a piece or two here or there. If I only have one or two pieces in the stove for a very small fire I find I will pull smoke out of the stove if I open the door when there are still active flames (the draft is just weak when loading with only a few pieces).

pen

Its mainly when I open the door to add fuel while there are still some splits in there. I did have a fan in the floor in the hallway pointed at the stove but even after turning the fan off, i still get smoke. There is a ceiling fan in the second floor thats on reverse setting but thats on the second floor, could that be it? Chimney is clean, just cleaned it about 4 days ago. 6 inch pipe on top of the stove, wood is pretty dry-seasoned. stove was at 400 when I opened the door.

KatWill said:
Hey all, Just got and installed the NCH 30 and absolutely love it. Great stove. One thing I have noticed is that when I reload it, I get a face full of smoke. The flue damper is fully open so is the air control. Any suggestions? Thanks all.
IM watching this post as i just bought an englander 30 and in the process of installing it now. Wondering what normal stovetop and flue pipe temps should be. Also at what temp do you get into reburn.

hey Trump, I am still getting to know this stove, i just installed it on Saturday. Great stove thus far, just the smoke backing down from some negative draft when i try to reload it. Other than that, i love the stove. on a full load of good seasoned locust and oak it ran from 10am to 9pm at great temps.

If I don't wait until the wood has burnt to coals I am likely to get some smoke out of my stove. If I wait until it is all coals and open the door slowly I can avoid any smoke spillage.

KatWill said:
Its mainly when I open the door to add fuel while there are still some splits in there. I did have a fan in the floor in the hallway pointed at the stove but even after turning the fan off, i still get smoke. There is a ceiling fan in the second floor thats on reverse setting but thats on the second floor, could that be it? Chimney is clean, just cleaned it about 4 days ago. 6 inch pipe on top of the stove, wood is pretty dry-seasoned. stove was at 400 when I opened the door.

More info on the flue would be helpful. Does the 6" go up into a 90 and into the chimney? What happens from that point? Size of chimney tile or is there a 6" liner in the chimney? How tall is the chimney?

anything else in the house competing for air like a bathroom fan / kitchen range fan / whole house air circulator, etc?

pen

Wood Duck said:
If I don't wait until the wood has burnt to coals I am likely to get some smoke out of my stove. If I wait until it is all coals and open the door slowly I can avoid any smoke spillage.

I can open my top loader harman at any point during the burn and dont get smoke spillage. As soon as i open the load door it starts taking in air from that door and the smoke if any keeps going up the chimney. Some stoves require you to open slowly so the stove can start drawing from the open door.Quite simple.

pen said:
anything else in the house competing for air like a bathroom fan / kitchen range fan / whole house air circulator, etc?

pen

There is a ceiling fan in the second floor that runs on reverse. Other than that I cant thing of anything else. Could a fan in the second floor of a split level be creating negative draft? I will turn it off when i get home and see what happens. Thanks Guys.

well, maybe try without the fan running and see what happens?

KatWill said:
pen said:

pen

There is a ceiling fan in the second floor that runs on reverse. Other than that I cant thing of anything else. Could a fan in the second floor of a split level be creating negative draft? I will turn it off when i get home and see what happens. Thanks Guys.

Ceiling fans are not an exit point for interior air ,they just move the air around in their specific location,they dont force air OUT of the house like range hoods,bathroom vent fans ect. Wont affect the stove.

Still looking for flue pipe temps ,i will probably have my stove Eng 30 going by tomorrow, so ill have some idea after i try it.
Anyone flue pipe or stove top temps on the Eng-30?

pen said:
That's a big single door to swing open and can pull a lot of air. I crack the door about an inch and wait a few seconds, then slowly pull the door open the rest of the way.

It also depends on where I am in the burn cycle. Are you loading this thing up and letting it burn in cycles? Or are you just adding a piece or two here or there. If I only have one or two pieces in the stove for a very small fire I find I will pull smoke out of the stove if I open the door when there are still active flames (the draft is just weak when loading with only a few pieces).

pen

Exactly!!

Status
Not open for further replies.