Englander PDV 25 problems!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I actually bumped it up to 7 and 9 on the fan. The three modes down below are as follows: Low Fuel Feed: 7, Low Burn Air:4 and Air On Temp:1.

Ok 7-4-1 only affects heat settings 1&2. By mode i mean A-B-C-D? Open up the hopper restriction plate.

Ok 7-4-1 only affects heat settings 1&2. By mode i mean A-B-C-D? Open up the hopper restriction plate.
I can't get to the hopper restriction plate...too many pellets in the hopper right now. I can't recall ever changing that setting so it's probably in whatever the stock position is.

When it burns them down open that plate up some and see if that keeps more going trough the auger

It's almost as if the top auger is shutting off and on as when the fire is dying down the pellets have stopped coming into the burn pot and after a minute or so more pellets will emerge and the fire takes off again.

The top auger is supposed to turn off and on thats how it was designed depending on the heat range its on verses off time will equal 16 seconds. Lets say on heat setting 6 the auger will turn on and run for 7 seconds it will turn off for 9 seconds.

I know I,m a hobo with a ham sandwich here but I’m telling you your stove is doing exactly what my stove did on New Years. I did a few things suggested on here to correct it. So here is exactly what I did . First I temporarily bypassed both vacuum switches with a wire along with the hopper lid. The I recleaned the combustion blower and vent along with the stove . I will add that I had a leaf blower hooked up and running the whole time I was cleaning the stove. I was very very careful to make sure that I spent a lot of time with a flexible rod and wire to go down the back side of the burn chamber Thur the little hole to the right side to scratch around to clear out ash that built up where the overheat sender is attached on the opposite side of the chamber. If that is not clean is will not read the heat correctly and that sender controls the top auger. So take the time and locate the sender and make sure you get cleaned down to it. Mine was packed I had to scratch and tap with a hammer handle. Lastly the room blower. I know you cleaned it and it’s blowing, but is it blowing to speed? How bout the heat exchanger? Since your blower was so dirty maybe the exchanger is plugged up? Point being if it burning good and then the top auger stops after a short while then restarts when the fire dies out , that to me is a overheat issue. Try what I said . It’s only time it took me an hour. By the way my hopper plate is open half way and I’m running wide open this morning and pouring heat out.

Reactions: Ssyko
I have a 2004 55PDV22 that has had this happen. I tried all of the cleaning tricks I could find online, checked the vent hole, lubed the auger motor, everything I could read about I did. I had the back of the stove off and I was shining a flashlight on the auger motors just watching them and I saw it......every other cycle or so the top auger motor would run for the correct amount of time but the shaft was spinning in the collar. I got an allen wrench and tightened the two collar screws up and it solved the issue. Probably a long shot that it is your issue but it could be worth checking.

I have a 2004 55PDV22 that has had this happen. I tried all of the cleaning tricks I could find online, checked the vent hole, lubed the auger motor, everything I could read about I did. I had the back of the stove off and I was shining a flashlight on the auger motors just watching them and I saw it......every other cycle or so the top auger motor would run for the correct amount of time but the shaft was spinning in the collar. I got an allen wrench and tightened the two collar screws up and it solved the issue. Probably a long shot that it is your issue but it could be worth checking.

very good idea! I forgot all about the collars

I was very very careful to make sure that I spent a lot of time with a flexible rod and wire to go down the back side of the burn chamber Thur the little hole to the right side to scratch around to clear out ash that built up where the overheat sender is attached on the opposite side of the chamber. If that is not clean is will not read the heat correctly and that sender controls the top auger. So take the time and locate the sender and make sure you get cleaned down to it.
So where exactly is this located? I've cleaned the inside of my stove before and haven't noticed a hole on the right side. I use an ash vacuum with a flexible "soot snake" metal hose attached to it and try to get all the nooks and crannies, granted I should probably clean the front of the stove once a week and haven't for over a month because it's been cold and I haven't really wanted to stop the stove too much.

the auger motor shaft slide into it, has a set screw. if you want heat out of the stove its gotta be kept claen. especially englanders.

So where exactly is this located? I've cleaned the inside of my stove before and haven't noticed a hole on the right side. I use an ash vacuum with a flexible "soot snake" metal hose attached to it and try to get all the nooks and crannies, granted I should probably clean the front of the stove once a week and haven't for over a month because it's been cold and I haven't really wanted to stop the stove too much.
The hole I’m talking about is directly behind the impingement plate. It’s about 3” wide and 1”1/2 high and devided in two horizontal. The top half connects to the long slot at the top of the burn chamber and the bottom half goes down to each side of the burn pot and is a pita to clean and almost impossible to vac with a hose. But a leaf blower and a flexible something works with some effort.