Englander PDV vs PDVC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jjones139

Feeling the Heat
Dec 9, 2013
Orange County, NY
I have both and they work great. However, I can burn anything in the PDV, but the PDVC is very picky. I read somewhere and of course I cannot find it now that the PDVC likes softwood better. Anyone feel the same and can you recommend a softwood? I'm currently burning Lignetics and they are hot in both stoves, but the ash content seems 2x in the PDVC. Thoughts or suggestions would be great!

I have both and they work great. However, I can burn anything in the PDV, but the PDVC is very picky. I read somewhere and of course I cannot find it now that the PDVC likes softwood better. Anyone feel the same and can you recommend a softwood? I'm currently burning Lignetics and they are hot in both stoves, but the ash content seems 2x in the PDVC. Thoughts or suggestions would be great!

Im pretty sure each and every englander stove is as individual as people are. My 25pdvc will burn anything i put in it (including an experiment mixture) i have been using the last 24 hours. Have you done any of the burn pot mods to either stove?

I have the PDV and it seems to be picky and does not like hardwoods. When I burn hardwood I get a ton of lava and unburnt pellets. Softwood burns great in it with no lava and little ash . But you do need to clean more often. I will only burn Easyblaze pellets. High heat low ash

I have the PDV and it seems to be picky and does not like hardwoods. When I burn hardwood I get a ton of lava and unburnt pellets. Softwood burns great in it with no lava and little ash . But you do need to clean more often. I will only burn Easyblaze pellets. High heat low ash
I appreciate your advice on the pellet as I will try that next.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Im pretty sure each and every englander stove is as individual as people are. My 25pdvc will burn anything i put in it (including an experiment mixture) i have been using the last 24 hours. Have you done any of the burn pot mods to either stove?
I have done every modification that I have found on this site. Those modifications have helped significantly. I will now try softwood. Unfortunately, softwoods are hard to find around my location.

They are here also. Currans are the only softwood in my area. And they were the worst ive had yet in either stove. Im usingenegex blend now and they work well.

Last edited:
They are here also. Currans are the only softwood in my area. And they were the worst ive had yet in either stove. Im usingenegex blend now and they work well.
I tried a bag of energex and they were hot, but they clumped up quite a bit inside my burn pot. They are also the same as stove chow or vice versa and made by the same company.

I appreciate your advice on the pellet as I will try that next.

Are they the easyblaze blend or all softwood?

I just dumped a bag of Spruce Point so let's see how this goes in the PDVC.

I meant the ones I burn are 100% soft. But man your supplier is expensive. I just bought a ton for 250.00
I sent you the website because they have the most selection in probably a good 50 mile radius! Other than the big box stores there's really no other competition, especially if you're looking for softwood. As I look through the Forum I am amazed at how much I am paying compared to many other locations. I picked up a bag of spruce point today and so far they are burning quite nice. This will make your head spin... The supplier today where I picked up a single bag of spruce point wanted $378 per ton and per bag it was $8.19! The clerk asked if I was looking for a ton and I said no for the price of your pellets I can fill up my entire oil tank!

I sent you the website because they have the most selection in probably a good 50 mile radius! Other than the big box stores there's really no other competition, especially if you're looking for softwood. As I look through the Forum I am amazed at how much I am paying compared to many other locations. I picked up a bag of spruce point today and so far they are burning quite nice. This will make your head spin... The supplier today where I picked up a single bag of spruce point wanted $378 per ton and per bag it was $8.19! The clerk asked if I was looking for a ton and I said no for the price of your pellets I can fill up my entire oil tank!

Sorry to hear that. At that rate it might pay you to drive a bit .