Englander PDVC 25 Lazy Flame Issue

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

flowercat

Hearth Supporter
Dec 27, 2008
East
After good discussions with tech support it appears that my lazy flame an unused pellet issue only happens when I run the stove at reasonably high heat settings. When I go to a five or higher on the heat range I have the issue. I have run the stove for the last few days keeping it at a 4 or less and have had no issues. The heat setting seems low yet I have the Mode at C and have a pellet brand that based on how they were produced feed faster than most. The low pellet feed option has no impact after a certain heat range so this option made no difference. It could be an anomaly with the stove like the configuration yet I don't think so as the stove and vent were installed based on the manufacturers standards and I keep the stove clean as well as yearly maintenance as recommended by the stove vendor. This issue is part of the FAQ on the problem on the manufacturer's web site so it is a somewhat common issue. I also noticed I was using more pellets than the suggested 16 - 24 hours for each 40 lb bag.

Just curious....I asked you in another one of your "lazy Flame" threads if you checked the OAK on the outside of the house for a blockage....quite a few of us have had snow block it and resulted in lazy burn, mine included. Has that been checked? Easy way to check from inside the house is to just pull the OAK tubing off the back of the stove and see if stove "livens-up".

Seem this would more pronounced on higher heat settings requiring more air.

Wood Pellet User said:
After good discussions with tech support it appears that my lazy flame an unused pellet issue only happens when I run the stove at reasonably high heat settings. When I go to a five or higher on the heat range I have the issue. I have run the stove for the last few days keeping it at a 4 or less and have had no issues. The heat setting seems low yet I have the Mode at C and have a pellet brand that based on how they were produced feed faster than most. The low pellet feed option has no impact after a certain heat range so this option made no difference. It could be an anomaly with the stove like the configuration yet I don't think so as the stove and vent were installed based on the manufacturers standards and I keep the stove clean as well as yearly maintenance as recommended by the stove vendor. This issue is part of the FAQ on the problem on the manufacturer's web site so it is a somewhat common issue. I also noticed I was using more pellets than the suggested 16 - 24 hours for each 40 lb bag.

someone correct me if i'm wrong but isn't a pdvc supposed to be set on mode d? i know mine is..

86 toy said:
Wood Pellet User said:

someone correct me if i'm wrong but isn't a pdvc supposed to be set on mode d? i know mine is..

Factory set at mode d.
I reset mine at mode c cause it`s in the rear garage and I want a greater amounts of pellets to be fed into the burn pot than mode d setting allows for. More fuel in the fire =more heat. That is if the stove is running correctly.
The only way I can re-create a lazy fire in my stove is to block the OAK completely. Even if I block off half the OAK opening the fire maintains it`s active flame. Mike Holten (Englander chief stove tech) even recommends blocking a portion of it if you get an air pressure differential that results in a low rumbling sound. So with all taken to mind it tells me the stove doesn`t need much air to create a highly active flame but an oxygen starved flame will burn slowly and lazily resulting in unburned pellets and an overflowing pot.

the thing to understand is its all about the mixture, air and fuel, the "C" mode is high for the pdvc model , and in the higher ranges could skew the fuel mix too heavy for what the stoves's air moving system can effectively burn, i note also that you are not getting the 16-24 hour burn times for a bag, this is due to running in the mid ranges where the stove even in "d" mode would eat a bag in roughly 12 hours , probably faster in c mode, best thing to do is reset in d mode if you will be runing higher ranges as the stove's air fuel mixture will be leaner, lean is hot

Status
Not open for further replies.