Englander pdvc25 not your typical igniter problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dragonsguard697

Jan 19, 2018
Connecticut
I have been reading as much as possible on this forum keeping my Englander 25 pdvc up and running it was manufactured 2004. I have not found anything like this, so here goes.
After replacing some wires and the Firebox vacuum switch I plugged the stove in, and did not start it up right away probably 8 hours or so and I noticed a glow coming from the igniter hole. The burn pot was warm to the touch. I have gone over the wiring multiple times and it is correct.
The control board is probably bad I am sure but any insight would be greatly appreciated. I need to get through the rest of the season and i am planning on upgrading for next winter with a bigger stove.

Did the stove ever fire up? Have you been using the stove? You may need to put a hand full of pellets in front of the hole if the auger wasn’t loaded to start with.

Welcome to the boards Dragon.

Have you checked the voltage to the igniter? Does the voltage stay on constantly or does it stop after a minute or two?

Does the stove run fine if you manually start the fire burning?

Bill

Did the stove ever fire up? Have you been using the stove? You may need to put a hand full of pellets in front of the hole if the auger wasn’t loaded to start with.

The only thing I find this does is make the stove start quicker. If the stove is not starting, something else is wrong.

I know im trying to figure out if the stove is new to him or not. No history, igniter will not stay on for 8 hours. Start up mode will time out first, unless the board is damaged.

I have been running the stove for three seasons now, and I am the second owner.
The stove fired right up on command affter I noticed it glowing. I have since unplugged the igniter and fire it up manually.
Voltage is all always present at the igniter.

Sounds like one of the triacs failed in the closed position. You could put in a toggle switch in series with the igniter and just turn it on to start the stove then shut off.

Sounds like one of the triacs failed in the closed position. You could put in a toggle switch in series with the igniter and just turn it on to start the stove then shut off.
That sounds like a good idea. I had a feeling that was the problem, is this a commen problem should I expect a domino effect?

Thanks for the help guys. I installed the switch next to the control panel, my only wish is for it to have an indicator light to remind me it's on.
1516509663936288848762.jpg

i hope thats a 120v toggle switch or someone is going ot get a nasty surprise when it fails..