Englander pellet stove pellet build up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Nickss1

Dec 1, 2019
Fartss.1
Hi, thank you for taking the time to read this. First time post.

I've tried everything to get my Englander pellet stove pdv to burn right, with no success. I've been on the phone with Englander tech support, and have read a lot of threads post over a two year span.

My issue: half burt pellet build up after about 8 hours of burn time.

I've cleaned the stove thoughly, cleaned the exhaust pipe, replaced door, glass, and burn pot gasket. I've tried plugging the 5/8" holes on each side of the burn pot and even bought a new burn plate and welded holes furthest toward the front and drilled more holes in the back part where most of the pellets are at. I've messed with the regulator in the hopper, I've tried everything.

I base this off of my parents whitfield pellet stove that they have had for over 20 years. They only need to clean it out maybe one a month. They never open the door. Only once a month to clean out the ash. I have to clean mine out at least once a day.

I assume the half burt pellet build up in the pot is not right, OR is it? Does anybody have any suggestions or comments?

Thank you for your time.

First off, welcome. I have the same stove and have been burning it for the last 12 years. My stove does the same thing. I have done the burn plate mods as you've mentioned and plugged the holes underneath. That said, I too have the buildup of the pellet mass. Its the function of the dual auger design.

My old Whitfield and my current Englander inserts were / are the single auger drop design which is a whole different animal, as I'm assuming your parent's stove is. That said, I knew what I was buying when I bought this and the PDV gives reliable heat and I wasn't out $5K on a Harman. I keep a 2" metal putty knife by the stove and once a day open up the door and scrape some of the ash out and dump it off to the side. No big deal. 12 years and other than gaskets have only had to replace the room blower motor and 1 auger motor. I'll take it.

Eric

Reactions: Ssyko
Hi, thank you for taking the time to read this. First time post.

I've tried everything to get my Englander pellet stove pdv to burn right, with no success. I've been on the phone with Englander tech support, and have read a lot of threads post over a two year span.

My issue: half burt pellet build up after about 8 hours of burn time.

I've cleaned the stove thoughly, cleaned the exhaust pipe, replaced door, glass, and burn pot gasket. I've tried plugging the 5/8" holes on each side of the burn pot and even bought a new burn plate and welded holes furthest toward the front and drilled more holes in the back part where most of the pellets are at. I've messed with the regulator in the hopper, I've tried everything.

I base this off of my parents whitfield pellet stove that they have had for over 20 years. They only need to clean it out maybe one a month. They never open the door. Only once a month to clean out the ash. I have to clean mine out at least once a day.

I assume the half burt pellet build up in the pot is not right, OR is it? Does anybody have any suggestions or comments?

Thank you for your time.
I have been burning a pdv-25 for more then 10 years now. i will tell you like it or not , if you are burning a hardwood or hardwood mix pellet you will have those issues. Try a few bags of pure soft wood pellets and you will never go back, I burn easyblaze softwood in my stove and i have all the burn pot mods done as well as it is tuned. tunning takes awhile. All that said i clean mmy pot in the morning and at night and all pellets are burnt and it is just ash buildup. Key is softwood for the pdv.

Reactions: Ssyko