1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Englander/Summers Heat - 25-PDVC / 55-SHP10... What Is or Is This Normal or Typical and my set-up..

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by cntbill, Feb 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cntbill

cntbill New Member

Loc:
    Reading PA Area
    A Lot shorter pipe, probably the reason you got yours to burn cleaner...

About the wear plate, I was also thinking about the igniter, but then on start up there is like 2 cupfuls in the burn pot before mine gets started... Still, be interested in your experiment.

But for now... Well new problem, :-( Room air blower motor making a loud screeching noise comes and goes. Guess I'm going to call in and get this straighten out, soon as I get some time...lol

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. stoveguy2esw

stoveguy2esw Minister of Fire

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    short answer: yes it would.

as for adding induction fans , i wouldnt recommend it. messing with air properties isnt a trivial exercise and could bring about damage to your unit.
  3. cntbill

cntbill New Member

Loc:
    Reading PA Area
    Mike - What's your experience and thoughts on pegdot's wear plate alterations?
  4. cntbill

cntbill New Member

Loc:
    Reading PA Area
    Peggy -

Went to a HD to pick up a few bags of the Fireside Ultra's figure I would give them a try since most of the posts in another thread is mostly positive. While there, out of curiosity I went over to a 25-PDV to look at the wear plate, the first thing I noticed it didn't have the two little half circles on the auger end, and instead had 2 extra holes, even though the burn pot had the half circle cut outs. Not sure if you seen one from a 25-PDV and thought you might be interested for a comparison. Attached it the photo.

Oh just in case anyone is interested HD has the Englander Stove's on sale at 20% off... (I wonder if they would drop to the 50% like Lowes? hmmm)

Attached Files:

5. pegdot

pegdot New Member

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    Thanks Bill! That's interesting. The one in your photo is the exact reverse of my original
  6. cntbill

cntbill New Member

Loc:
    Reading PA Area
    So I take it that your original don't have the little half circle cut outs? On my wear plate the half circle cut-outs allow small pieces to fall under it into the bottom of the burning pot and increases the amount of ash that would block air flow. I have yet to reach that point, but it is an decrease in performance, pellet pieces that don't burn, hence no heat from them, and the pellet coals that fall, well no heat from them either. So maybe newer version here...
  7. cntbill

cntbill New Member

Loc:
    Reading PA Area
    Quick update.

Tonight while cleaning the stove, it came to me... lol... I remembered was reading another post where the door glass gasket was left out.

When I was checking the door gasket for leaks, I never checked the glass... dahhh

So on start-up got a lighter and there it was! Air leaks in two places on the top and one on each side... So part of my problems solved - I believe anyways.
  8. pegdot

pegdot New Member

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    Wow! I hope replacing the gasket will fix it for you, Bill! :coolsmile:

It's funny but when I finally got to watch Mike's video and saw those big cut outs on the rear of the wear plate I thought "Ah Ha! Mine is missing those. That must be the problem!" Mike told me that my model isn't supposed to have those....oh well...back to the drawing board. lol
  9. cntbill

cntbill New Member

Loc:
    Reading PA Area
    Yes, so do I :) Just got in so I'm going to have to get on the horn soon and give the guys in VA a call....
  10. stoveguy2esw

Loc:
    madison hgts. va

bill, the wear plate in that picture is for a model 25-pdv your avatar is a 25-pdvc , which stove do you have again?if its a pdv, you have the right plate, however it is backwards , the hole patters are reversed, it was bent backwards, if you have the unit that is pictured in your avatar , you have the wrong wear plate and the unit will not burn at all correctly. if you would call my shop and i'll send you a new one thats proper number is 800-245-6489, if you get this tonight i will be in the office tomorrow (saturday) from 9-12 eastern , or call me during the week
  11. cntbill

cntbill New Member

Loc:
    Reading PA Area
    Mike, I called in this evening wanting to go over a couple of things and talked to Lenny, but a bit to late at 4:55, so I'll be calling tomorrow. The picture was for comparison if pegdot was interested. Yes my avatar is a picture of my stove. Thanks
  12. stoveguy2esw

Loc:
    madison hgts. va
    ok kool, i'll be in the office by 9am
  13. packerfan

packerfan Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    frozen tundra
    That may help to explain things for me. After reading this thread, I checked out the wear plate on my 25-pdv and it is also bent the same way! Am I correct in understanding the previous posts that there should be more air holes in the wear plate towards the front of the stove?(the door) If so, that's probably why I'm getting a lot of unburned pellets in my burn pot. I guess I'll be calling ESW in the morning.
  14. cntbill

cntbill New Member

Loc:
    Reading PA Area

Hmm, seems I'm stirring the pot with that picture... Just to be clear, the picture is of a wear plate of a 25-PDV that is a store display at a local Home Depot.

Since I took the picture with my phone, transfered it to my computer, then cropped it and uploaded it, I figured I better double check the original photo and it is the same layout. So I'm sure that through the process of transferring the photo here that it is not an mirror image, maybe a mis-bent one at HD..?
  15. packerfan

Loc:
    frozen tundra
    Mine is exactly as pictured.
  16. cntbill

cntbill New Member

Loc:
    Reading PA Area
    Interesting, guess a call to ESW would be recommended then.
  17. pegdot

pegdot New Member

Loc:
    Upstate, SC
    LOL Now I'm confused! My stove is a PDVE and my wear plate is the reverse of the one pictured. In other words the three small holes at the back that are in a straight line, not crooked, are on the left rear of the plate. Is that what you have, packerfan? If so, I think that ours are correct and the one in the photo was somehow flipped over and then bent. I believe the side with the extra holes is supposed to be below the igniter. Have I got that right, Mike?
  18. packerfan

Loc:
    frozen tundra
    Pegdot,
    as Mike posted above, the photo is the wear plate for a 25-pdv, so I have no idea if it is also the correct one for your application. The plate on my stove has the exact same hole pattern as the one in the pic.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.