Englander US 25-5670 (pics added)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DexterDay

Well... Bought another stove, got this one on Craiglist too. (Quad-Purchased new, Fahrenheit 1 yr old $2,000, Craiglist, Englander 15 yrs old, Craiglist $300) I brought it home yesterday. Guy told me it was a Kozi at first. Then sent a picture of it to me. Looked like a 25-pdvc. Well it wasn't. I still bought it anyways, #1. Because I drove FOREVER. #2. IT was dirty as all get out. #3 It came with almost a half ton of misc. pellets (21 bags/ around $70-$90) , and a Simpson Duravent Kit from HD that was only a year old. ($200 itself)
Everything worked on it, when I got there. (drove 3.5 hrs to get it) The flame was lazy, but like I said, it was Dirty. Got home and found both blowers to be Plugged and the Comb blower to be almost locked up. Took awhile cleaning it yesterday and this morning, taking it all apart. Lubing, scraping, and blowing everything out. Once done I found the top Auger had one of the spade connectors to have broken off during transport, Wire broke. I am no electrician, but thought if the wire went back "Where it went", it should be Good. Well, it was.. Worked perfectly. Fired it up this morning, ran it for awhile. Shut it down. Comb blower stayed on like it should. But while doing a post burn check. I found the Auger motor that I "Put back together" to be really hot. Like I said, I am no electrician. But I am a mechanic and good enough with electronics to know, that this is not right.
Question is.. Should I buy a new auger motor? Pretty Sure EVERYTHING on this beast is original, except the convection blower. Thinking about buying a new Comb blower too. It works, but it was damn near locked up (Bearing has enough play to feel, but not see). 15 yrs is a long time to run something. Seems like a solid stove. All Gaskets looked good (Door, Hopper, Conv blower) Comb blower is gonna need a new gasket obviously, but its in the garage and for testing purposes was not needed at the time.

Looking for any and all info on this stove. How much parts are? Are a lot of places still selling them? Took me awhile just to find out what it really even was. (Has dials on the control board. Only push buttons are On/Off)
Its gonna be my shop stove, so it doesn't have to be pretty. Will post pics tomorrow, maybe tonight if I get time.. Thanks in advance

"I found the Auger motor that I “Put back together†to be really hot. Like I said, I am no electrician. But I am a mechanic and good enough with electronics to know, that this is not right."

DexterDay,

What on the motor was hot, was it the gear case, if so it could be low on lube. If this was a continuously turning motor those tend to get quite warm.

The coiling on the motor. Has a spade connected to a plastic (thermal protecter?) hooked the wire that went back to the pack up. The other auger was cool. Only ran it for 20 mins top. Ran great.

DexterDay said:
The coiling on the motor. Has a spade connected to a plastic (thermal protecter?) hooked the wire that went back to the pack up. The other auger was cool. Only ran it for 20 mins top. Ran great.

If that unit is a two auger horizontal feed system the bottom auger turns continuously and they tend to get very warm.

The top auger cycles.

That stove is in the 25PDV line if the number you posted is correct.

Its the top motor. I may be wrong. But I looked like the top was constant. Bottom was pulsing with the fees rate setting. I may be wrong. But the top one was HOT. After only 20 mins.

Dexter, how about some pics of the stove to help identify it. Also, did you find the plate that lists the Model # and serial #? Most Englanders have it on the underside of the hopper lid, although an older one could be different.

You might want to try calling Mike Holton at Englander tomorrow and pick his brain about it.

The WH Testing label is on the very bottom right hand side of pedestal. Didnt take any pics today. I will post some tomorrow. Gotta get up at 4:30. Going to bed soon. Thought about sending Mike a PM. I know he is a very busy man, so I have held off on that thought. At Best. Another $200-$300, and she will be running great. Ran fine today except for the hot top auger. New Auger (maybe even 2, the whole assembaly) and a New Comb blower and gasket. Replacing the hopper gasket. There are no tears in it, but its flat as h#ll. Need to get more computer literate so I can post pics and videos from my PC. I perfer being on here, rather than my phone. Takes to long to type. Hitting the hay in a bit. If I dont respond till tomorrow, I am not avoiding anyone. Thanks to all

oops forgot the #'s..... Model # US 25-5670
Serial # WHI-001275
Manf date/ 5/96
Stove is in Pretty good shape for its age. I knew after the guy told me that he "vacuumed the firebox every week" Pretty much the same senario as my Fahrenheit. Plugged and Dirty, No lube, and No Care.

DexterDay said:
....Model # US 25-5670.....

According to the Englander site, (and as Smokey suspected), the stove is essentially a 25-PDV....uses the same owners manual too.

If the upper auger motor is getting hot, I'd take it out and try lubing the end motor bearings (it only runs intermittently). The lower auger runs constantly....that's the one that would get hot, if anything.

If you need a replacement, I'd go with one of the Gleason-Avery units....beefier motor and better bearings in gearcase.....and only $84

www.gleasonavery.com/catalog/pellet-corn-stove-motors.html

You might even want to swap the lower auger motor that doesn't get hot now to the upper auger, and use the new auger in the lower position.

Thanks Smokey and imacman. Gonna start it up just for a min tomorrow, to check which auger is doing what. I thought the top was running constantly, and the bottom was intermittenly. If I am remembering correctly. Almost Positive.... Would the fix be as easy as switching the wire terminals? There are 4 spades? Maybe the last owner tried working on it, and got the wires mixed up? Or maybe Iam wrong. Going to bed now. Will post pics of "Broken Wire" and the stove.

In Englander dual auger stoves, the upper auger runs intermittently (based on heat setting), while the lower runs constantly. If yours is the other way around, just switch wire sets between both augers.

imacman said:
In Englander dual auger stoves, the upper auger runs intermittently (based on heat setting), while the lower runs constantly. If yours is the other way around, just switch wire sets between both augers.
Was hoping it was that easy. Thanks imacman. Really goin to bed now. Went outside. Here is a pic.

Attachments

• englander.jpg
    englander.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 844
Well I remembered right. The top auger was constant, the bottom was intermittent. Switched wires around, and Ta-Daa. Top is intermittent, bottom constant. Thanks imacman. Previous owner prob got them mixed up.
Going back to what I said in earlier post, the wire was kinda broke on the top auger and the motor was getting hot. Well, now the little wire broke, and cant find exactly where it went into coil. Lots of wires on the winding (coil) but do not see any loose ends where it broke. I am prob better off just buying a new one. Again, I am no electrician. Can something like this be fixed? I know the plastic piece cant be put back on. But is there any other way to mate them together, without frying anything. (shorting out).
This was a phenomenal deal, so even if I have to sink some money it, will not bother me the least. Winter is winding down. Reality of it is, I probably wont even use this till next year. (Same as the Fahrenheit) But I would still like to get what I can fixed on it, So I can at least get it installed. Just sittin in the middle of garage now.
As you can see where it sits, I made a mess in the garage. Between this stove and the Endurance. Needs a good pressure washing this Spring. Thanks for everyones help. Look forward to Burning this old beast.

Attachments

• Auger (top).jpg
    Auger (top).jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 671
  • Englander  25-5670.jpg
    Englander 25-5670.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 783
IF you could find the loose end, you could strip the enamel off and solder the two wires together, but it would be tricky. You would also have to support the wire somehow so that it wouldn't break again. I think your best bet is to replace the motor.

Get yourself a new auger motor, no need to fight the lead bleed every time it breaks and it will.

About what I figured. Looked the auger up, not that exspensive. Going to purchase a new auger, Comb blower, and Comb blower gasket. I will have $500 in it total. The heater I was looking at prior to buying this was around $450. And it ran off of LP. Figured its cheaper to run pellets than LP anyways. Whole reason I bought my 1st stove. Saved THOUSANDS already.
Wife thinks I am absolutely CRAZY. My thought is to Buy them, Restore and Re-sell. So many people out there drop a HUGE Dime on these stoves. And have know idea the maintenance involed. Then sell them for a 1/4 of what they got in them, just to re-coupe some of the initial cost. My buddy has a friend that is selling an old Whitefield, not sure of the actual model. They are original owners and have taken great care of it for 13 yrs (I believe). I know it has an agitator in the pot. Draft Adjustment is a knob is on the side, that you pull in or out. Has dial knobs for heat and blower adjustments. $500 for everything. Pad, stove, pipe, and a half ton of cherry pits. About half mile away from my Parents house. There are several stoves I have found for less than $500 in my area. Be it on Craiglist, Local paper, or adds hanging in our local Farm and Home stores.

Thanks again everyone. Just wanted to be sure there was no "Easy Fix". Seems like there rarely is when it comes to electrical components. Look forward to posting pics of this stove once installed. (Along with pics of Endurance too) Dont need either till next winter, but I am trying to them ASAP. Many other things to do on the Honey-Doo list. Wife is due in less than 3 months. Our nursery is still a spare bedroom. Got a lot of work to do.

In my garage/shop. Used to be an In-Law suite on the back of garage. (You can see a piece of PVC running up wall in the background of last pic, behind a piece of duct-work for Endurance. That's the vent (stink pipe) for the bathroom) I will be turning into a little wood shop/ man cave this summer. My whole garage is 33' wide x 43' deep, but it split in 2 sections. The garage and apartment are separated by an insulated wall. The garage section is 33' x 21' deep. Soon to be shop is 33' x 22' deep. Going to install a door between the two. Right now to get into the suite, you must walk around to the back of garage. Installing the stove, facing the doorway to garage. If extra heat is needed out there, just open the door. There is also a LP furnace in the suite, with its own separate LP tank. Has about 60% left in it. Want to use it up, before I tell the gas man to come get it. I asked them about 2 years ago, if they could somehow transfer to our tank for the house. Got a BIG NO from them. They told me to "Use it or Lose it".
Seen this stove is rated for 56,000 BTU's!!! The plate steel that is on this stove, is twice as thick as newer stoves on the market. I'm guessing it will give off a fair amount of radiant heat. Just by looking at the design. Have not found any real numbers, as far as convection fan goes on it. Since I cleaned the matted ring of hair and dust off of it, it blows out air on par with my Quad. (if not a little more than the Quad)
I am kind of glad winter is winding down. I like to be outside doing yard-work, cutting grass (cub Zero-Turn), riding ATV's, and looking forward to riding the HD Super-Glide. But now I have these 2 stoves to install, I know as soon as it gets HOT... I will be looking forward to Old Man Winter.

Well I got it installed. It may not be in its final resting place (Hole in siding doesn't matter, re-siding this summer), but it is in none the less. With a Fresh paint job, New Combustion Blower and Auger installed. (From CSH Inc) I had her Burning away today. Wow, what a machine. This thing is 15 years old, only has 4 Heat Exchange ports for Room air, and can still blow some modern machines away. The Radiant heat it gives off is much greater than any new stove. Should do just fine for the application. I went more than double the recommended clearance's. Only burned my Presto-Logs in it, but it sure liked them. Thanks to everyone who helped me.

Excuse the Spray paint on the wall. A buddy had one to many about 6 yrs ago. Been meaning to paint it.

Attachments

• Ye Old Englander.jpg
    Ye Old Englander.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 524
Looks great Dex....burn baby burn!!

Looks like you're more than all set for next winter.

What would be the total cost you paid for the stove. Including the gas for driving to get it. I might be wrong but it looks like a Englander 25. Not trying to rain on your parade, but, I bought one for 720.00 last year from lowes. Saw one in January for 600.00.

$450 total. But got 21 bags of pellets and the all flue pipe included in the $300. The pellets were worth $100 and the pipe prob $200. So I got the stove for Free and put $150 in it. Also has the Electricians at work fix the broken auger. So I got one for the shelf now.
Is yours the PDV? That's what this one basically is. 56,000 BTU's. I thought it was a good deal. Great deal actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.