EnviBlocks / SuperCedars / etc - Wood / Kindling alternatives

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

brakatak

Jul 1, 2013
SE Mass.
are these recommended for NonCat EPA Stoves ? Just wondering incase I run into burn issues this year due to my stacks not being ready.

This is my first year burning, and have 3 cords sitting for 9 months, but I have concerns about being about to fully burn it all this year. I have mixed moisture readings from 18-30% right now on the pieces I've tested. I'm going to start sorting thru the stacks.

Just burn the drier stuff first. It is four months to January and the stuff doesn't stop drying just because school starts.

You can resplit it and stack it loosely...won't hurt.

Super Cedar makes a great starter, but it's not for burning like this. A lot of people supplement their loads with the manufactured products like biobricks, etc and that seems to work. You can also use mill ends, pallet wood etc if you can find some. Some try pellets but I didn't have any luck with that.

I was in exactly the same boat last year and had to burn some alder that was upwards of 30%. I got my fires going well and hot with the best stuff first, then added a few of the 25-30% stuff during the day. As long as the secondaries and flue stay hot, then you should be fine as far as creosote is concerned. You will still lose efficiency, of course, but you do what you have to with what you have.

Depending on the species and the climate, 30% wood may very well still dry before the season is out like Bart says.
You can resplit it and stack it loosely...won't hurt.
Split it small and stack it only one or two rows deep. You'd be surprised how much that helps.

Having said all that, you are in a lot better position than a lot of first-season burners. You'll be fine if you're careful. Inspect your flue a few times mid season

I got envi-blocks last year when the supply started running low. I still have about half a ton in the basement.
I highly recommend them, and you can search this forum for my review on them. I have a non-cat EPA stove Regency 2400.

I also have a case of supercedars because the envi's are hard to get started. You can only use these to start fires as they won't keep a house warm, but they are safe to use. I think they are on sale currently.

I think they are on sale currently.
They have always offered members here 10% off with a discount code online. Something like "hearth". They'll also send you a couple of them free.

If U need something to keep your fire box hot ,with less than perfect wood ,or to use for kindling, U can't beat pallet wood , other than a little labor it's free .
Get it now, cut it up with small chain saw or sawz all, stack it and your ready to go

i dont have much of a stash of kindling, so was considering getting SuperCedars for the fire start. But i didnt see anything online about these being okay for epa non-cats.

as far as heating, i was thinking i could mix in some EnviBlocks with my less than seasoned wood. more of a supplement, if needed. but had concerns about if there okay for new stove.

seems like they are both okay to use, from the comments. thanks.

:)
But i didnt see anything online about these being okay for epa non-cats.
I know my non-cat stove doesn't have anything in it to get damaged, what stove do you have?
It helps to put your stove in your signature ,to make things easier :)

i dont have much of a stash of kindling, so was considering getting SuperCedars for the fire start. But i didnt see anything online about these being okay for epa non-cats.

as far as heating, i was thinking i could mix in some EnviBlocks with my less than seasoned wood. more of a supplement, if needed. but had concerns about if there okay for new stove.

seems like they are both okay to use, from the comments. thanks.
Sounds like a good plan. Super Cedar is arguably the favorite fire starter on this forum for any kind of stove. BTW, you only need 1/4 of a puck. They can be broken easily.

The "brick" products would make a good supplement, but probably not by themselves. Too hot and rich.

If you're ready, willing and able . . . and it sounds like you are . . .

1. Sort through the pile and put the drier stuff to the side to burn first.

2. If re-stacking stack loose, give maximum exposure to the sun and wind . . . and while I am usually not a top cover sort of guy I think I would do so . . . or at least top cover when there is rain in the forecast to be on the safe side.

3. Get some pallets and cut them up . . . they're a pain in the butt to process and you may have to deal with nails in the ashes, but they're quite useful as they are often pretty dry and help to get the fire going when your wood is marginal and you're doing a cold start or even doing a reload.

4. Be aware that you may not be able to turn down the air as much as you normally would with marginal wood . . . but that said . . . I wouldn't be surprised if you still are able to get some secondary burns . . . it will just be much nicer and more intense next year with even better seasoned wood.

5. Thermometers on the stack and your stove will help keep your stove running in the "zone."

5. Finally . . . and this is perhaps the biggie . . . inspect and clean your chimney frequently. I would suggest at a minimum you inspect it monthly . . . some folks may even say every 2-3 weeks.

Get some pallets and cut them up . . . they're a pain in the butt to process and you may have to deal with nails in the ashes
Some pallets U can knock apart but Most pallets the nails are very hard to get out , I just cut around the nails , I use a sawz all with a blade for wood with nails, if I hit a nail no damage to blade

Reactions: Trilifter7
Head to the nearest construction site, flooring shop or cabinetry shop with an empty garbage can. Politely ask if you can gather their unfinished wood scraps. Many will be happy to give you all you can take. Use a hatchet to split up the scraps into good kindling and store in a dry place.

Reactions: HDRock
I have a lot scrap wood around my garage... mostly all pine 1x4s, and some studs. if I cut these up and rip em down, are these good for the stove ? never really thought to use this until the recommendation to hit up some job sites.

I have a lot scrap wood around my garage... mostly all pine 1x4s, and some studs. if I cut these up and rip em down, are these good for the stove ? never really thought to use this until the recommendation to hit up some job sites.
That stuff will work fine, as long as it is, dry and NOT treated, will burn fast n hot, no need to rip it , just crosscut to length.

These scraps are excellent for kindling. They can also be added to regular splits if the wood is not taking off well due to seasoning. I wouldn't recommend burning a fire with these solo.

Status
Not open for further replies.