Enviro blame game--need advice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

want2bwarmer

Jun 14, 2008
central maine
We had a fire in the hopper of our enviro empress in January. Long story short, the local distributor (Russo) has had our stove at Russo products since the week of the fire...this week we FINALLY got an email response from Russo.

They cannot seem to explain the cause of the fire, but in the email they postulate that the fire was caused by (1) the Corinth wood pellets (which I have NO problems with in my Harmon insert), (2) and/or faulty installation/cleaning by the stove shop dealer/installer , and (3) ash build up caused by all of the above, inferring lack of maintenance on our part. Basically, they seem to be trying to deflect blame of any sort on the stove itself. I have kept meticulous records--stove was professionally installed, had its annual cleaning in the fall prior to start-up (by the installer), and we have cleaned it regularly, as specified in the owners manual.

1. Anyone had similar problems with their Enviro?
2. Anyone had a hopper fire, caused by Corinth pellets?
3. Any idea HOW I would have a fire in the hopper--unless the heat sensor in the hopper FAILED? It seems like even if the pellets and/or ash were to blame--the fire would go out and/or the heat sensor would shut the stove down!!
4. And last, anyone on this forum have email information for Dean Mccausland or Wade Bullard (installer and owner, respectively Stove Barn in Maine). I want to forward them a copy of the email from Angela Russo--since she seems to be shifting blame at them, I want to share her email. I also plan to forward her email to the folks at Corinth.

Please--any advice would be appreciated. The Enviro stove is only a year old--ran like a dream the 1st heating season. Stove is still under warranty, and the company is treating us like CRAP. Never mind that I have 5 tons of Corinth pellets remaining--and wonder if I should be afraid to burn them in my Harmon?

Thank you!

Reactions: for what it's worth
As for number 4 is that the shop in Winslow.

If so give them a call at 866(or 207)-859-9773 to get email addys if any.

How many tons of pellets did you put through that stove?

As for number 3, if the fire was away from the sensor such that the sensor didn't see at least 200+ degrees then it wouldn't trip likewise if the sensor failed or the wrong one was installed when the stove was built the same situation can occur.

You have not provided enough detailed information to say anything other than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.