Enviro E33 vs Mendota FV44i or ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lifespeed

Dec 1, 2018
San Jose, CA
I'm looking at the Enviro E33, Mendota FV44i or other suitable gas insert to retrofit a concrete chimney 35-1/2" wide by 34" tall, although I will likely reduce the opening height and raise the insert installed floor with a steel stand to allow a hearth-less install with wall-to-wall carpet.

The wife really likes the Enviro E33 with the glass pebble bed, ceramic logs, and black enamel liner that reflects the flame dancing. However I am concerned with the use of mild steel in the burners and heat exchanger. Are my concerns valid? Certainly my tankless water heater and forced-air furnace don't use mild steel for these critical components and have lived a long, trouble-free life. But the fireplace won't get as much use either.

As you can see the brick facade has been removed, I'll be putting a quartzite slab on the vertical surface, and leveling the hearth with mortar to carpet like the rest of the room.

IMG_20181125_134955_fireplace_stripped.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: