Enviro EF3 auger connection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dorboln

Dec 6, 2015
Everett, WA
The auger motor shaft of my Enviro EF3 auger sheared off in the motor. The sheared portion is still stuck in the auger itself. I took the collar ring off and the shaft still in there. It looks like there is a set screw in there, but nothing for me to use to grab hold of to get it out. How do I remove the shaft from the auger?

Also, I have found several motors on Amazon that looks like they might replace the motor. What should I look for in making sure I have the correct motor?

Can you post a photo of the shaft stuck in the auger? The only set screw is the 4-sided bolt on the ring, so not sure what you'seeing.

If you search the forum, you'll find plenty of posts related to Enviro EF2/EF3 auger motors and the challenges of getting them off the auger. When they're stuck, you can try heat, prybars, penetrating oil, and maybe witchcraft. With a broken shaft, you might be in for a workout.

Here is an image of what I am seeing. It does not appear to be part of the square set screw. It is smaller than that and the square screw does not appear to be broken off.

Attachments

• IMG_3886.JPG
    IMG_3886.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 199
Here is an image of what I am seeing. It does not appear to be part of the square set screw. It is smaller than that and the square screw does not appear to be broken off.

What happened to the rest of the auger motor? It appears that the output shaft has totally lost its grip on the large diameter/slow running gear wheel in the gear box !!! Isn't this a very rare failure?
IMGP3835.jpg

Anyways, the output shaft is stuck inside the auger and you'll have to remove it in order to salvage your auger.
When I bought my Whitfield stove in 2008 the auger motor was very noisy and due to replacement. However, the output shaft was stuck inside the auger EXACTLY like yours. The explanation for this is simple, but not very visible: The previous owner of my stove had not tightened the set screw properly and it had therefore slipped its position on the flat side of the output shaft. The result of this slippage was the formation of deep grooves on both output shaft and auger. Impossible to see from the outside :rolleyes:
It took me some time to figure out a remedy. Inspiration came from the restoration of car engines. Think: Valve grinding. I took some valve grinding paste mixed with a little engine oil to make it thinner. I poured this abrasive liquid in the hole for the set screw. The auger was fixed in a vice. Then I wiggled the motor for about half an hour and finally the grooves were ground away and the parts could be separated ;)
If you don't have any valve grinding paste, I'm sure that some fine sand mixed with oil will do the job just as well. That your auger motor has come off may make the job easier/quicker , since you can attach an electric drill directly on the stuck shaft, as if it was a drill bit.
Here you see my old auger motor when it finally was separated from the auger. Note how rounded the grooves are from grinding action:
DSC01350.JPG

It does not appear to be part of the square set screw. It is smaller than that and the square screw does not appear to be broken off.

The set screw has a tapered end to it. If that is still in place on the one removed, then it isn't broken. The smaller circle in your photo is the impression made be the set screw.

The question is what are we seeing at the bottom of that hole? It looks like the motor shaft, but not the right color. Either it's rust, or some other metal item. The auger itself isn't threaded, so it seems unlikely that it would be part of an old set screw. Let's hope for rust.

Easiest thing to try first would be a couple drops of penetrating oil into that hold, and around the bottom of the auger where the motor shaft sticks out.

Any good small engine repair shops in your neighborhood? It's guaranteed they've seen this type of problem before. You might be able to get this resolved for small money.

Status
Not open for further replies.