Enviro EF5 Ignitor Tube

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CFossNH

Feb 15, 2012
New Hampshire
Should the ignitor tube sit flush against the burn pot liner? I have a 1/8" to 3/16" gap between the tube and the liner. I am having a problem where the stove won't ignite on its own. Unfortunately there is no adjustment in either the burn pot or the tube. The burn pot has feet that hold it in place and the tube it screwed to the back of the first box. Any ideas? Do I have the wrong burn pot or tube? - According to the Enviro Parts Page both look correct. I suppose the feet on the burn pot or the flange on the tube could be welded in the wrong location, but one would think the manufacturer would use jigs so everything is the same... Any info would be helpful....

Thanks
Cory

Here are the pics

Attachments

• BP Installed_2.jpg
    BP Installed_2.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 351
  • BP Installed.jpg
    BP Installed.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 341
My EF5 has a gap between the ignitor and the fire box.The only problem i've had is sometimes it takes a while to ignite the pellets.

Is your gap at the flange where the Tube screws to the fire box (behind the wool) or is it at your burn pot liner like mine? Mine won't ignite the pellets at all, it hasn't since day 1.

Nice photos, in an EF IIi I previously burned ( had the same problem you have ), it was recommended that I drill the hole in the burn pot a little larger (don't remember the exact size), this helped for a quicker ignition.

CFossNH said:
Is your gap at the flange where the Tube screws to the fire box (behind the wool) or is it at your burn pot liner like mine? Mine won't ignite the pellets at all, it hasn't since day 1.
I'll be shutting mine down shortly for it's weekly cleaning.I'll get back to you later

Defiant; I was going to drill the hole larger as you did, but my stove is only 6 months old so I figured my dealer, distributor or even Enviro would shed some light on this. I have found all 3 to be completely useless... I would assume where there is a gap between the liner and tube - air would flow by blowing the heat away from the pellets. I could trying putting a fender washer behind the tube flange to move the tube closer to the liner.

For some reason, it could just be me, the igniter hole in your burnpot looks like it does not line up with your igniter.

I just chked my stove.The ignitor on mine is back 5/16" from the end of the tube.

Several things the igniter should be back a smidge more and the area around the igniter has to be free of ash.

Check the tube that the igniter is in for a hole to admit air, make certain that hole is free of burrs etc.

The igniter should be pretty much centered behind the hole in the liner at no time should the liner touch the igniter.

Thanks for all the info guys... UrKiddin: My igniter is just shy over an 1/16" back from the end of the tub.... if its not too much trouble how long your tube from the back of the firebox wall to the end of the tube... I wondering now if I have the wrong tube...

I also thought that the igniter should be more centered within the tube, but the hole in the liner is not centered with the tube... urkiddin; is yours also like this?

Attachments

• BP Back.jpg
    BP Back.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 264
Does your igniter work? Turn stove on without burnpot and you should see an orange glow in the tube.

CFossNH said:
Thanks for all the info guys... UrKiddin: My igniter is just shy over an 1/16" back from the end of the tub.... if its not too much trouble how long your tube from the back of the firebox wall to the end of the tube... I wondering now if I have the wrong tube...

I also thought that the igniter should be more centered within the tube, but the hole in the liner is not centered with the tube... urkiddin; is yours also like this?

The tube the ignitor sits in extends 1" out from the back of the firebox wall on mine.I've taken pcs but i'm trying to figure out how to download them to this thread.The hole in the liner on mine looks exactly like yours.It's not centered either.

Ok lets see if i got it right this time.This is what my stove set-up looks like

Attachments

• stove 1.jpg
    stove 1.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 250
  • stove 2.jpg
    stove 2.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 241
  • stove 3.jpg
    stove 3.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 248
  • stove 4.jpg
    stove 4.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 268
From the manual, I saw this has been ongoing for you.

8. Ignitor- the pellets will not light.
üEverything else in the stove operates but the ignitor will not light the pellets. üMake sure the burn pot liner is up tight and square to the ignitor tube by pushing the burn pot back
against the ignitor tube. üCheck to see if the exhaust blower is operating. If not, contact your local dealer for service.
üCheck the fuse on the circuit board. NOTE: The ignitor should be bright orange in color. If not replace the ignitor.

I don't mean to be rude but urkiddin's hole seems to be slightly larger.

urkiddin said:
Ok lets see if i got it right this time.This is what my stove set-up looks like

And looking in through the hole in the liner one can see your igniter and an air gap on one side. The OP should have the same set up.

The igniter is off center in the tube almost but not quite as off center as the hole in the liner there is just enough room for hot air blast through the liner hole.

If that is the case for the OP then you are left with getting enough air past the igniter and through the hole in the liner.

My tube also sticks out about 1" from the wall... but clearly your igniter is much farther back in the tube and your tube is further into your burn pot than mine. Using a flashlight looking through the igniter hole in the liner - does your tube come flush to your liner? The hole in my liner is 1/4".

This may not be revelent to the problem but i have a EF3 at my cottage.When we first installed it we didn't install an outside air kit.The stove was really hard to ignite at that time.Later when we put the outside air in it started up much faster.I have outside air on this EF5.

CFossNH said:
My tube also sticks out about 1" from the wall... but clearly your igniter is much farther back in the tube and your tube is further into your burn pot than mine. Using a flashlight looking through the igniter hole in the liner - does your tube come flush to your liner? The hole in my liner is 1/4".

I can't chk if the tube is flush now because i have the stove running .The hole in the liner on mine is about 1/4 inch too but it looks like it might be a little more centered on the burn pot hole than yours.

I'm pretty much out of ideas.... urkiddin; does your burn pot have little rectangular feel on the bottom of it?

I haven't been able to get any help from the dealer or distributor.... The dealer's attitude is you bought, you own it; not my problem... The distributor is barely any better saying you need to deal with your dealer... I have filed this claim before christmas... and still no resolution nor has anyone offered to send out a tech to look at it... are all the dealers like this; I would guess no as they seem to be selling stoves.

CFossNH said:
I'm pretty much out of ideas.... urkiddin; does your burn pot have little rectangular feel on the bottom of it?

I haven't been able to get any help from the dealer or distributor.... The dealer's attitude is you bought, you own it; not my problem... The distributor is barely any better saying you need to deal with your dealer... I have filed this claim before christmas... and still no resolution nor has anyone offered to send out a tech to look at it... are all the dealers like this; I would guess no as they seem to be selling stoves.

Yes mine has those little rectanglular feet.Make sure they fit into the holes for them when you put it in.Also make sure the liner is up tight against the front of the burn pot as there is a little wiggle room there.Here's another thought.Last fall when we installed this stove i was burning pellets left over from the year before.Where i had stored them it was kinda humid.I did have trouble sometimes with the stove not starting so i bought some gel and had to use that several times to get it to light.Once i got through those pellets and into the new ones that problem went away.I started mine up again today and had flame within 10 minutes,smoke in 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.