Enviro Kodiak 1700 fpi shroud replacement experience

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Cheapbas

Dec 16, 2017
New England
well I join d here a few weeks ago posting a question on the blower unit on my enviro. Received some help for a few members stovelark and saewoody (sp?) and finally was able to remove the left shroud from the above mentioned which houses the blower and electronics. So my unit was operating before, but a little sluggishly. The rocker switch only worked in one position which was defaulted to the fan speed and that was stuck on high fortunately because the knob had broken off. Anyway, It operated this way for many years, got the family room hot and provided some heat to the rest of the house. The noise was easily diffused by dropping another $1000 on a Bose sound system for the tv.

After I got the unit off, The blower had a lot of dust accumulating all over, so I got a vacuum, put the edger attachment on and vacuumed out as much as I could. It was fairly clean when I was done.

I put the unit back on and couldn’t get it to work. Built a fire in case the thermostat as preventing it to turn on and still nothing.

So I went to the manual online and realized it need a part no. 50-2167, the entire left shroud (could have ordered the individual parts but I didn’t want to deal with it). Well that was a fiasco but in my second attempt I finally got one here through a parts store on cape cod, unit got here in 2 days.

Went to install it and realized the thermostat had been relocated from half way up the shroud, which located it over a hole in the side of the firebox, to the very top of the unit. Put it on anyway, nothing, built a fire and then the blowers started working. So the unit has been working great, and just I’m time, temps this morning in Mass were -2*. Also worth noting the blower seems to use a different set of mounts than the original.

I had thought, and I guess this is a question to other owners, that the rocker switch was on HIGH in one position and in the other position it controlled the fan speed so you could dial it up or down depending on your preferences. This morning I realized both positions controlled the fan speed and this afternoon one position is now OFF and the other position allows the fan speed to be used.

So, I have heat but I am perplexed why it only works in one position. Also, anyone know what this thermostat or thermodisk does for the unit. I can probably relocate it over the hole mentioned above but not sure I want to mess with it.

Also, there are several blowers on amazon that mount via magnets and have the cord and fan control all for $120 or so, anyone ever try that.

Best and happy new year, ken

well I join d here a few weeks ago posting a question on the blower unit on my enviro. Received some help for a few members stovelark and saewoody (sp?) and finally was able to remove the left shroud from the above mentioned which houses the blower and electronics. So my unit was operating before, but a little sluggishly. The rocker switch only worked in one position which was defaulted to the fan speed and that was stuck on high fortunately because the knob had broken off. Anyway, It operated this way for many years, got the family room hot and provided some heat to the rest of the house. The noise was easily diffused by dropping another $1000 on a Bose sound system for the tv.

After I got the unit off, The blower had a lot of dust accumulating all over, so I got a vacuum, put the edger attachment on and vacuumed out as much as I could. It was fairly clean when I was done.

I put the unit back on and couldn’t get it to work. Built a fire in case the thermostat as preventing it to turn on and still nothing.

So I went to the manual online and realized it need a part no. 50-2167, the entire left shroud (could have ordered the individual parts but I didn’t want to deal with it). Well that was a fiasco but in my second attempt I finally got one here through a parts store on cape cod, unit got here in 2 days.

Went to install it and realized the thermostat had been relocated from half way up the shroud, which located it over a hole in the side of the firebox, to the very top of the unit. Put it on anyway, nothing, built a fire and then the blowers started working. So the unit has been working great, and just I’m time, temps this morning in Mass were -2*. Also worth noting the blower seems to use a different set of mounts than the original.

I had thought, and I guess this is a question to other owners, that the rocker switch was on HIGH in one position and in the other position it controlled the fan speed so you could dial it up or down depending on your preferences. This morning I realized both positions controlled the fan speed and this afternoon one position is now OFF and the other position allows the fan speed to be used.

So, I have heat but I am perplexed why it only works in one position. Also, anyone know what this thermostat or thermodisk does for the unit. I can probably relocate it over the hole mentioned above but not sure I want to mess with it.

Also, there are several blowers on amazon that mount via magnets and have the cord and fan control all for $120 or so, anyone ever try that.

Best and happy new year, ken

Hey Ken. Glad you got the unit going. I just had my blower out yesterday while dealing with another issue. Seemed a good time to clean the blower out. As far as that switch goes: when it is centered, it is off; when flipped off towards the front, the fan is always on but I am still able to control fan Speed; and when flipped off towards the back the fan only kicks on once the stove reaches a certain temp (somewhere around 150-200 degrees), which is the setting shown in the pic I have attached. The description you gave in a prior post sounds like we have the same set up. On the plus side of things my living room is at 78*, while it is 8* outside, and my stove is running at an easy 425*! This is a direct result of getting the blower cleaned out. Life is good right now. Best of luck with the stove!
IMG_5900.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for replying, and appreciate the assistance. the picture you provided is the new left shroud I have now, the original does not have the vents you see on the left side and other changes I mentioned previously. I have it cranking now. Best

Reactions: saewoody