1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Enviro Kodiak 1700 Insert install

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by kingquad, Feb 21, 2011.

1. kingquad

kingquad Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    First off, I just want to thank everyone who contributes to this site. I would never have been able to do this without all the info here.

Now to the pics. First off, this is a basement install in our family/tv room into a 21 ft. interior masonry chimney with clay tile liner. My basement is finished, but the half the insert sits in is poorly insulated.

This summer I had my chimney swept and inspected and was told by the sweep that I'd have no problem installing an insert. My firebox dimensions left me with the ability to install a medium sized insert. I talked to several shops/installers. I narrowed my choice down to the Pacific Energy Super, Regency I2400, and the Lopi 1750i. I had a Lopi installer at the house who tried to talk me out of a wood burner and into a ventless gas log setup. My I.D. of my flue is 6.5x10.5. He said I would have ovalize to get it down and that it might not work. I honestly think he was afraid to go up on my clay tile roof. Every installer said a block off plate was unnecessary, although a couple said they would do it.

I decided after reading some of BrotherBart's (THANKS) posts on a 5.5 liner. I decided that this is would be the route that I would choose and decided to do a self install. I decided to go with the Super insert and began calling around for prices. I called a shop that told me they weren't stocking PE anymore and had switched to Enviro. They were still able to sell and service PE products though. I decided to take a look at the Enviro and liked the low height and the E-Z flue connector that made the flue connection very simple from inside the stove.

First, the before pic. I'll break this up into several posts.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. kingquad

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    I needed to extend my hearth to meet the 18 inches to combustibles. This is ceramic tile laid on hardibacker on a slab floor. This still hasn't been finished, but will be completed in a few days. It still needs grout and the wood border laid down.

Attached Files:

3. kingquad

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    I had my liner kit delivered from chimney liner depot and my insert delivered from the shop I purchased it from(Daniel's Run Energy in Washington PA). Began by cutting out most of my damper and creating a template for my block off plate

Attached Files:

4. kingquad

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Then I went to work with an air shear, nibbler, tin snips, and benders.

Attached Files:

5. kingquad

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Now I had to wait around for the ice to melt off the roof. I ordered a pulling cone from rockford chimney, but it wouldn't fit down my chimney. I had an idea to use strips of sheet metal screwed into the liner with an ibolt attached to pull it down. I had been doing some construction on the other side of my basement, and a bunch of scrap metal stud pieces. My buddy went to work with some tin snips and a few minutes later I had my pulling cone

Attached Files:

6. kingquad

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    I made a 48x48in. square frame out of 2x4's with an ibolt in each end. I rachet strapped that around the chimney and laid a piece of 2inch pinkboard foam so that I could stand on the roof without braking any tiles. I then took my safety harness for hunting in a tree stand and hooked it into one of the ibolts on the frame. My friend and I then ran the liner down the chimney. This took us about 5 minutes, which I was thrilled with. I then went downstairs and packed the firebox with roxul about where the blockoff plate would sit.

Attached Files:

7. kingquad

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Then I installed a cut-to-fit piece of roxul and my block off plate. I used high temp silicone around the B.O. plate. I also installed the stove adapter and EZ flue connector.

Attached Files:

8. kingquad

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Installed the stove, connected the liner, then installed the terra cotta top cap and insulated up top. The next morning I fired it up and started my series of break in fires.

Attached Files:

9. kingquad

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    It's taken a few days, but I'm starting to get it dialed in. This thing is a beast. Gotta let it eat. Thanks again. I'll post another pic once the grout and border is done

Attached Files:

10. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    I really like that 1700 insert. Wanted one but the supposed to be dealer was a dork.

Excellent install my friend.
  11. kingquad

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Thanks BrotherBart. Like I said, your posts about 5.5 inch liner were very helpful. The wife and I are very happy to finally have a warm basement. It's in a 400 sqft. room and it will easily blast us out. I wish I could have got it in sooner, but that just means I've got more wood left over for next year.
  12. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Loc:
    The coldest major city in Canada
    Very nice job! And you saved a TON of $$$ by not having "them" do it.
    AFAIK, the Enviro's are a nice, heavy built product.