enviro m55 fs slider damper adjustment

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goose1

Jan 8, 2012
Michigan

I'm having a hard time trying to figure out how to adjust the slider damper as the manual is next to useless. Even the ideal flame color photograph suggested in the manual is in black and white. Anyway, I have a constant dirty window in the upper right hand corner of the stove and when I set the stove on #3 setting or higher, I get lots of black smoke through the outside exhuast. Was wondering if this is normal or if a slider damper adustment would help these issues. Would appreciate any suggestions on this.

All M55's crap up the glass with a pretty consistent pattern. Upper right corner then over the top of the glass, like an eyebrow.

Open the slider damper wide open, then adjust it in slowly a little at a time. Wide open open there should be no smoke at all.
I just set mine with a mag gauge this weekend. It takes a little patience. At all your slider adjustments give the stove
some time to burn a each setting and evaluate before your next adjustment.

Also if wide a open damper doesn't clean it up. It may need a good cleaning.

FWIW. I have mine setup: 45* bend at the adapter, then straight out 2 feet. Slider damper is set almost 3/4 in. Mag reading 0.17

Thanks very much for your reply's. I appreciate your suggestions and will give them a try. By the way, I went into my distributor today and he agreed to order an updated convection blower for me. Should arrive in a couple of weeks. Should eliminate any #4 flashing codes from this point on.

Wachusett

I ordered a mag and it just came in. After a good cleaning i'm going to set my M55 with a guage. Did you hook up on the - or + side of your guage? Thanks for the info

Wingnut13 said:
Wachusett

I ordered a mag and it just came in. After a good cleaning i'm going to set my M55 with a guage. Did you hook up on the - or + side of your guage? Thanks for the info

If I recall correctly the gauge has two sets of ports. One set on the side the other on the back. You plug whichever set you are not using.
Then attach the stove to the open (-) negative fitting and leave the remaining (+) positive fitting open. This wil allow the stove to pull
air through the gauge and measure the negative pressure.

Been a while since I last looked at it.

Haven't ever set mine, But on the insert I believe the tech set it from the side and the front...Could be wrong, but that's the way I remember it..

Wachusett said:
All M55's crap up the glass with a pretty consistent pattern. Upper right corner then over the top of the glass, like an eyebrow.

Open the slider damper wide open, then adjust it in slowly a little at a time. Wide open open there should be no smoke at all.
I just set mine with a mag gauge this weekend. It takes a little patience. At all your slider adjustments give the stove
some time to burn a each setting and evaluate before your next adjustment.

Also if wide a open damper doesn't clean it up. It may need a good cleaning.

FWIW. I have mine setup: 45* bend at the adapter, then straight out 2 feet. Slider damper is set almost 3/4 in. Mag reading 0.17

This is hard to explain until you know what the flame should look like, but I'll give it a shot.

Adding on to the "damper is wide open," so close the damper a little bit at a time until the flame looks almost completely vertical.
Next close or open the damper until the flame has a Vee shape (low in the middle high on the outside edges).
You are pretty close at this point, so now look at the color of the flame, and it should be white at the base with orange mixed in, but without black smoke coming off the tips of the flame. If the flame has the correct shape, but is white all over it has too much air, so close the damper.

The Vee shape will not be constant, but you can see the gap in the center, but should not be constant like the dirty burn in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oiRXfF6_gWk&feature=BFa&list=PLB44BF7204A62DB78&lf=results_video

All this should be performed with a fully warm stove, at #5 heat setting, and with default combustion air, and feed, which I believe is #3. and #3, but check the manual to be sure (I set my damper up to burn shoulder pellets because they tend to burn dirty, and I can easily adjust for a clean/hot pellet with the control panel combustion air/feed adjustments).

When you get close make sure that you wait 8-10 minutes between adjustments, or you will be chasing the setting for it will need to settle after a change to take an accurate flame observation.

This should get you very close, and should be good enough until you get a mag for testing.

FWIW, you may even surprise yourself, and be right on when you test with the mag. ;-)

One other thing, you can feel how much hotter the stove will get when you are in a clean burn range, so take note of the flame if the stove is burning much hotter than usual.

FWIW, yup the window gets dirty in an eyebrow shape no matter how clean the burn. :-S

1D

Thanks. Just got done cleaning the pipes and the stove. Just as soon as it gets cold again (65 degrees in michigan today) I'll fire it back up and get it set. Don't know why dealers don't do this for every stove when they are installed.

Wingnut13 said:
Thanks. Just got done cleaning the pipes and the stove. Just as soon as it gets cold again (65 degrees in michigan today) I'll fire it back up and get it set. Don't know why dealers don't do this for every stove when they are installed.

I was frustrated that my installer didn't check the stove with a mag either, but I'm an optimist and this taught me how to better set up my stove out of necessity. %-P

On the plus side I now know how to adjust the stove to burn almost anything, gotta love that! :cheese:

The installer of my second stove got it right, so no complaints about him, oops that be me.

1D

Status
Not open for further replies.