Enviro M55 Heat Exchanger Tube Baffle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jgrz0610

Burning Hunk
Dec 13, 2011
Eastern CT, Andover
After noticing the threads about the baffle for the heat exchanger tubes for the M55 I was curious why my cast insert did not have one. Finally had an unrelated reason to call my dealer and ask them where the heck it was and was informed that the insert does not have a baffle covering the exchanger tubes and the freestanding model does. So...I was curious if anyone with a M55 insert has the baffle or not. It was mentioned on the forum that possible issues without a baffle include burn through of the exchanger and increased hopper temps. The heat exchanger tubes are cast just like the rest of the unit so I don't see them burning through unless I was burning some of that real expensive exotic chit Jtakeman gets. Just curious to put my mind at ease. Hopefully there's a consensus or else I'm going to have to call a Canadian to find out for sure. The Canadians are already convinced we're a bunch of morons (in general) so I'd prefer to save the stupid question for later...lol. Thanks in advance guys.

After noticing the threads about the baffle for the heat exchanger tubes for the M55 I was curious why my cast insert did not have one. Finally had an unrelated reason to call my dealer and ask them where the heck it was and was informed that the insert does not have a baffle covering the exchanger tubes and the freestanding model does. So...I was curious if anyone with a M55 insert has the baffle or not. It was mentioned on the forum that possible issues without a baffle include burn through of the exchanger and increased hopper temps. The heat exchanger tubes are cast just like the rest of the unit so I don't see them burning through unless I was burning some of that real expensive exotic chit Jtakeman gets. Just curious to put my mind at ease. Hopefully there's a consensus or else I'm going to have to call a Canadian to find out for sure. The Canadians are already convinced we're a bunch of morons (in general) so I'd prefer to save the stupid question for later...lol. Thanks in advance guys.
the baffle holds thecast iron back up how does youre back stay up?

I have the cast insert and it has the baffle.

No baffle on my insert. Well, it depends on what you call a baffle. It DOES have a small half-sized baffle that is attached to the cleaning "rake". It basically covers up the back half of the heat exchange tubes, but the front half is exposed to the flame. Personally, I think having them partially exposed to the flames may be more efficient. The hot air then gets sucked over the baffle and follows the tubes to the back of the stove before heading down the backside and to the exhaust. But...no, the insert doesn't have the full sized baffle that the freestanding does.

Attachments

• IMG_9224.JPG
    IMG_9224.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 249
No baffle on my insert. Well, it depends on what you call a baffle. It DOES have a small half-sized baffle that is attached to the cleaning "rake". It basically covers up the back half of the heat exchange tubes, but the front half is exposed to the flame. Personally, I think having them partially exposed to the flames may be more efficient. The hot air then gets sucked over the baffle and follows the tubes to the back of the stove before heading down the backside and to the exhaust. But...no, the insert doesn't have the full sized baffle that the freestanding does.
Okay. That's what I have. I always just considered it the cleaning rake and not really a baffle. So it does...and doesn't...have a baffle. Thanks for the pic, that's exactly what mine looks like.

I have the cast insert and it has the baffle.
Full baffle or like the one flynfrfun showed a pic of? Just curious. The FS M55 has a full baffle over the entire heat exchanger which is what made me overlook the baffle on the the cleaning rake. Thanks for the response

so how do you remove the back liner. i have to lift my baffle and then the liner falls forward.is this how yours works. you said it is attached to the baffle. if so how is the back plate held in place. seems you might get more heat without a baffle and flames hitting tubes directly.

so how do you remove the back liner. i have to lift my baffle and then the liner falls forward.is this how yours works. you said it is attached to the baffle. if so how is the back plate held in place. seems you might get more heat without a baffle and flames hitting tubes directly.
wonder why they are different . same stove different design.

You pull the cleaning rake forward and the small "baffle" attached to it comes forward allowing the back plate to fall forward. It's kind of a half baffle/half cleaning tool thing but there is a large area of direct flame to heat exchanger tubes. Would probably be easier to clean with a full baffle however. Fly ash gets everywhere and there is nothing to stop it. A lot of vacuuming time to get it all.

You pull the cleaning rake forward and the small "baffle" attached to it comes forward allowing the back plate to fall forward. It's kind of a half baffle/half cleaning tool thing but there is a large area of direct flame to heat exchanger tubes. Would probably be easier to clean with a full baffle however. Fly ash gets everywhere and there is nothing to stop it. A lot of vacuuming time to get it all.

Yes, it would be easier to clean if it had a full baffle. You can remove the half baffle on the insert, but it's a PITA to get back together. I am able to clean the tubes by first brushing the front half of the tubes. Then pull the cleaning rake forward and while holding, brush the back half of the tubes. I do this on my weekly cleanings to keep the heat exchange at maximum efficiency.

The baffle directs hot exhaust gasses over the heat exchange tubes. Without it, efficiency would be lower since the time the hot air flows around the tubes would be less. But, I wonder if the half baffle might be slightly more efficient since the front half of the tubes gets direct contact with the flames, then the hot air gets sucked back over the back half of the tubes. Hard to say for sure, and probably not that much of a difference. The full baffle seems like it would keep the tubes cleaner longer though. On the insert baffle, there are triangular openings at the top of the front face of the baffle that lets the hot air pass behind the baffle. You really have to look for them in between the tubes to even know they are there. You can just barely see them in my pic above if you "open in new window" and them zoom. Look between the tubes, you can see the triangular opening.

hey flyn...What do you use to clean between the tubes??? I have a small brush I jam up in there, just wondering if you have anything more efficient?

hey flyn...What do you use to clean between the tubes??? I have a small brush I jam up in there, just wondering if you have anything more efficient?

I've been using a "parts cleaning brush". But it won't get all the way up to the roof of the firebox. For that I use the brush Enviro included with the stove. I'm on the lookout for something better though. Been thinking about using compressed air, but can't figure out how to do it without getting ash blown back out the front door. Maybe do the leafblower trick while blowing the compressed air? My exhaust venting is so short, I really don't need to do the leafblower method though, so I would have to go buy one.

Here is a link to the type of brush I use...
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/GRAYMILLS-Parts-Cleaning-Brush-1A190?Pid=search

I know this is an old thread, but flynfrfun, you mention getting the 1/2 baffle out. Can you share how that is done? Mine is warped, and Enviro is replacing under warranty, but I thought I would do it myself. Can you help me figure that out?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.