Enviro Mini setting the damper using a Magnehelic gauge PICS

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesdjs

Dec 6, 2008
western MA
These are pics I took of the Magnehelic settings for the damper air draw when the pellet stove was running on high and low.
Pic 0041 is the meter showing 0.09 "wc when running the stove on low. Enviro recommend 0.08 to 0.09 for a setting.
Pic 0045 is the flame in the stove on low.
Pic 0047 is the meter showing 0.12" wc when running the stove on high. Enviro recommend 0.11 to 0.12 for a setting.
Pic 0046 is the flame in the stove on high.

Hope this may help someone with how the flame looks versus the damper opening.

Attachments

• DSCF0041a.jpg
    DSCF0041a.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1,258
  • DSCF0045c.jpg
    DSCF0045c.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 1,194
  • DSCF0046b.jpg
    DSCF0046b.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 1,288
  • DSCF0047a.jpg
    DSCF0047a.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,165
The only thing I see is how you have the gauge set up. I think Dwyer says to have the gauge face verticle and level? I could be wrong too! These gauges are really really sensitive! I mounted mine in an old PC power supply box. fyi only

Thanks, I have to see if I can find that info.
Next time I'm running the stove I'll try it vertical and see what the difference is.

j-takeman said:
The only thing I see is how you have the gauge set up. I think Dwyer says to have the gauge face verticle and level? I could be wrong too! These gauges are really really sensitive! I mounted mine in an old PC power supply box. fyi only

You are 100% correct. Here's a blurb from Dwyer service manual.

All standard Magnehelic® Differential Pressure Gages are
calibrated with the diaphragm vertical and should be used in
that position for maximum accuracy.

Looks like I have to make a little holder for mine.... or just get my kid to hold it vertical :cheese:

Thanks James - Could you confirm that these readings were taken at the same damper setting (with the only difference being lo vs hi setting)? I see from Pix 0046 that the damper looks almost all the way closed. That's pretty much where I've been setting mine, but I'll break out the magnehelic again this year and test.

Also - I'm wondering what effect changing pellets woulds have on the draft. I would hope not much, making setting the draft a set-it and forget-it thing.

Carl

LI-Mini-Owner said:
Thanks James - Could you confirm that these readings were taken at the same damper setting (with the only difference being lo vs hi setting)? I see from Pix 0046 that the damper looks almost all the way closed. That's pretty much where I've been setting mine, but I'll break out the magnehelic again this year and test.

Also - I'm wondering what effect changing pellets woulds have on the draft. I would hope not much, making setting the draft a set-it and forget-it thing.

Carl

What I have seen drop the reading is a clogged burnpot and a near plugged vent. Pellet don't seem to have much of an effect on my Omega's readings. One of the reason I state to check it in the setting you run it most and record the setting. This way you can check it now and then.

LI-Mini-Owner said:

Carl

Reading were taken with the damper in one spot for both the high and low fire.
The only thing else I have to do again is to have the Magnehelic gauge in a vertical position when taking the reading. I'll check next time I fire it up and see what the diference is.

j-takeman said:
Well I recalibrated the gauge in a vertical position and boy is this gauge very sensitive to any angle even a little off perfectly vertical throws off the reading.
So I get it set up with a level and set the zero.
When I rechecked the high and low readings it was high by two 1/100. So instead of being 0.12 it was 0.14.
Readjusted the damper in even further..ever so slightly in till i had 0.12.
Checked low flame and that was 0.09.

Looks good :)

jamesdjs said:
j-takeman said:
Well I recalibrated the gauge in a vertical position and boy is this gauge very sensitive to any angle even a little off perfectly vertical throws off the reading.
So I get it set up with a level and set the zero.
When I rechecked the high and low readings it was high by two 1/100. So instead of being 0.12 it was 0.14.
Readjusted the damper in even further..ever so slightly in till i had 0.12.
Checked low flame at that was 0.09.

Looks good :)

Cool :coolsmile:

Ok I am setting up my magnehelic gauge and I have two open ports, I know I am using the low pressure port but what do I do with the high pressure? Plug it or leave it open?

IMO for measuring vacuum (negative pressure) you leave the High side open (to ambient pressure). If you were wanting to measure positive pressure, then you would connect to the High side and leave the low side open.

My intuition is often wrong (just ask my wife), so perhaps someone else will chime in.

Status
Not open for further replies.