Enviro pellet stoves working on Auto-On/Off ? Now I am really confused!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don2222

Minister of Fire
Feb 1, 2010
Salem NH
Hello

Well I thought I understood how this Enviro Meridian works with a 30 min low fire before shutdown works so it will not short cycle on a manual T-Stat! It is a few years old but I still do not know if there are any updates to the chipset on the control board?

Well because it was 25-30 degrees below normal for June today, I had a chance to run the stove all day on the T-stat with the switch set to Auto-On/Off.

So far it cycled 4 times today. Turning on when the shed was 67 Deg with the "Swing Setting" on T-Stat set to 1.

On the 1st and 3rd cycle, there was a 30 min low fire before shutdown and the shed went to 80 Deg F (Too Hot) until the stove finally shut off.

Now the part I do not understand!

On the 2nd, 4th and 5th cycle there was NO 30 min low fire and the stove shut right down and the shed only went to a nice comfortable 72 deg F.

The first time there was no 30 min low fire, my friend said that was most likely a glitch, but since it happened again and exactly on the 4th cycle, maybe not!

So does this happen to your Enviro Stove? What's up?
This is the first time I ran it on T-Stat Auto-On/Off for 4 cycles in a row!

Enviro changed their web site so they do not show a phone number anymore to call them in Canada. Last year in November, I ordered parts directly from them and I recall a Toll-Free #. Does anyone know what the # is?

Thanks

P.S.
Enviro Meridian Manual Bottom of Page 8 and Top of Page 9
AUTO/OFF MODE: (Requires a thermostat)
INITIAL START-UP: See manual mode above.
OPERATION: When the thermostat contacts close, the unit will light automatically. Once up to temperature, the stove operates the same as in MANUAL. When the thermostat contacts open, the stove’s HEAT LEVEL and Fans will drop down to the LOW setting for 30 minutes. If the thermostat contacts close within the 30 min, the HEAT LEVEL will return to the previous MANUAL setting. If the thermostat contacts remain open the stove automatically begins its shutdown routine. The stove will re-light when the thermostat contacts close again.

Call Russo Products in Randolph. 800 number calls that originate in NE go there anyway.

Hi Scott
I did call Russo products and talked to the lady there. She was nice and very helpful, then she had their stove tech call me back. He was well aware of the 30 min low fire before shutdown and knew of no workarounds except to lower the auger feed trim so the low fire would be as low as possible to prevent the room from getting to hot.

So I think I did get most of their knowledge and this issue may be for the experts in Canada. I am sure they would know the software rev of the control board and have more info on my issue!

See thread > https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...erent-than-enviro-regency.86686/#post-1120862
Hello fishwater

Well I finally talked to a very knowledgeable Enviro Dealer Technichian at Russo Products in Randolph Ma. See their web site > http://www.fireplaceseast.com/

He said the Enviro Meridians are 45k btu and you can call or email Linda for technical questions and get prompt answers from their tech!

Her email is > "linda noonan" <[email protected]>

Phone # is:

Linda Noonan
Russo Products, Inc.
61 Pleasant Street
Randolph, MA02368
781-963-1182
F-781-961-6509

Hello

So I ran the stove all night last night to see what would happen. I record the High temp so that will tell me if there was another 30 min shutdown with the shed going to 80 deg F.

Well guess what?The low outside last night was 49 deg F and the Hi was 52 deg F
The low temp was 66 Deg F and the high temp was 72 Deg F in the shed so there were no more 30 min shut down periods!
That is strange.

Does anyone else use their Enviro on Auto-On/Off ? ?

Don, is it possible the stove never sees an unsatisfied t-stat once it exits startup?

Hello Smokey

That is an excellent observation! ! !

I bet the T-Stat does get satisfied during the start-up sequence so instead of going to run mode the micro code in the control panel exits to the shutdown sequence!

I can easily test for that by either bumping up the T-Stat fro 68 Deg Set Point or increasing the swing setting!

Thanks so much.

Hello Smokey

That is it ! ! ! A bug in the Micro Code ! ! !
This is a possible bug since a newer control panel software version may have the fix but we need to know this from Sherwood Industries LTD.

The swing was not wide enough so I bumped the Set Point to 78 Deg F since the shed was 60 Deg F

The stove startedand the On/Off button was flashing to show the stove is in the Start Cycle.

After the fire lit and the stove warmed up the Room Blower came on Hi during the later part of the Start Cycle.

Then after approx 15 min, since the heat level is set to 1 the lowest heat setting, the Room Blower went down to Low and the On/Off button lite stayed on constantly to signify the stove is in run mode.

Then since the room was up to 72 deg at this time, I dropped the T-Stat setting down to 69 Deg F.
The On/Off button started blinking but the auger light still flashed and the pellets still dropped. This signifies Low Fire mode before shut down mode.
This has been going on for 15 min now so I am sure this is how it works!

Therefore some changes in the Micro Code are sorely needed ! ! ! We need to contact Sherwood Industries LTD ! ! !

This test also reveals that changes to the Micro Code can easily resolve both this issue!

Solution:
Change the micro code to exit to shutdown mode when T-Stat is satisfied during run mode just like it does in Start Mode! ! ! ! ! ! ! !
Change User manual to Highly Recommend a T-Stat with a large Swing Setting (2 to 3 Degrees F)

This change will give the user much better control over the room heating and prevent the room from getting way too hot during the Low Fire Before Shutdown on the T-Stat Auto-On/Off mode!

Hopefully someone who has a new Enviro Wood Pellet Stove can do a similar test.
Another test is to drop the Set Temp down before the stove goes into run mode to show the stove goes to shutdown mode immediately!

Well I just confirmed this other test!
The room was 70 so I bumped the T-Stat to 78 Deg F and the stove went into start mode. After the fire lit and the room blower came on Hi, I changed the T-Stat Set Temp to 68 so the T-Stat was satisfied and heard the click in the T-Stat signaling the contacts opened from being satisfied. The stove continued on and finished the start cycle. When the start cycle was done the On/Off button flashed and the Auger stopped! ! ! Just like we suspected the stove went right into shutdown mode and completely by passed the 30 min Low Fire! ! !

So this is confirmed on my older Enviro Stove!

Can anyone please try this on a very new Enviro Pellet Stove?

Hello

While I am waiting for Enviro to get back to me, I contacted Ed at another Enviro dealer from Nordicstove in Dover NH thru their website.
http://www.nordicstove.com/

Here was my question?
message: Hello I have a 7 y/o Enviro Meridian stove. When using a T-Stat in Auto-On/Off mode after the T-Stat is satisfied, there is a 30 min Low Fire before shutdown. This makes the room too Hot! Is there a newer digital control panel that does not have this delay, so I can set the Swing Setting for the max temp and still have the stove not short cycle? Thanks Don - Salem NH

Here is the Emial answer I got.
Subject: Re: Inquiry from website

no you cant stop the extra 30 minute burn off. it will do that for 30 minutes on low and in the auto/off mode will shut down. in auto on/off it will stay on low till it calls for heat.

set your regular setting down a little and that will keep a more consistent and even heat.

thanks
ed

Hello

Well, I finally got a call from Jory at Enviro. He was very nice! He stated that the only improvement in their newest control board is the ability to adjust the new room blower Fan Trim on All heat level settings in case there are any negative pressures in the home from bathroom fans... etc. You can adjust the room blower fan up to 5 volts higher or 3 volts lower than the factor speed for each heat level setting. The 30 min low fire before shutdown in Auto-On/Off mode has not been changed and there is no way around it!

He did say there is an entirely new control panel in the design stage that will be a vast improvement like having Wi-Fi so stay tuned for that one it will fit all Model stoves! ! !

I still like the 30 minutes before shutdown feature. This saves lots of wear and tear on start-up/shutdowns/ignitors.

99% of the applications out there will be a much larger space than your shed and will require a much larger BTU input. So having the stove idle for 30 minutes wont be that bad. My Fahrenheit does the same thing. When in High/Low, it doesn't shut down. But when in Fuel Mizer (On/Off) its on a delay. It waits about 45 minutes! Before actually shutting down.

A smaller swing is a way to avoid large swings in temp. Or a larger area to heat. The shed is a nice area to rebuild and test. But as far as heating capabilities. A small electric heater will roast you out within an hour. You have built that shed like a Brick Chit House!! Its got insulation out the @ss and retains heat like crazy now..

I would love to have a shed like yours (insulated with t.v. and other amenities) but actual real world testing is not realistic. Temp overshoot will be common with most stoves. During a normal shutdown, all stoves continue to heat and keep the blower running to cool the unit and extract most available BTU's.

Im looking forward to hearing more about the new WiFi boards and possibility new models they may be testing them in.... But that board you have now will save most folks a large swing in temp, by not shutting down if it doesn't need to. I love that feature on my Fahrenheit. But I am heating well over 3,000 sq (including the 800 sq area of basement its in/no cold air return hooked up) and no worries of overheating.

I still like the 30 minutes before shutdown feature. This saves lots of wear and tear on start-up/shutdowns/ignitors.

99% of the applications out there will be a much larger space than your shed and will require a much larger BTU input. So having the stove idle for 30 minutes wont be that bad. My Fahrenheit does the same thing. When in High/Low, it doesn't shut down. But when in Fuel Mizer (On/Off) its on a delay. It waits about 45 minutes! Before actually shutting down.

A smaller swing is a way to avoid large swings in temp. Or a larger area to heat. The shed is a nice area to rebuild and test. But as far as heating capabilities. A small electric heater will roast you out within an hour. You have built that shed like a Brick Chit House!! Its got insulation out the @ss and retains heat like crazy now..

I would love to have a shed like yours (insulated with t.v. and other amenities) but actual real world testing is not realistic. Temp overshoot will be common with most stoves. During a normal shutdown, all stoves continue to heat and keep the blower running to cool the unit and extract most available BTU's.

Im looking forward to hearing more about the new WiFi boards and possibility new models they may be testing them in.... But that board you have now will save most folks a large swing in temp, by not shutting down if it doesn't need to. I love that feature on my Fahrenheit. But I am heating well over 3,000 sq (including the 800 sq area of basement its in/no cold air return hooked up) and no worries of overheating.

Hi Dexter

Thanks for your comments, you have a very good point! I do like the shed even though it may over test the stove, I do find all the issues!
As far as normal use, you are right! Interesting that your Fahrenheit works the same way. Good to know.

The Astoria does not have the 30 min lo fire delay before shutdown, but I have not tried it to control room temps with it yet. During the shoulder months, it comes on at 2:00 AM and off at 9:00 AM

It would be interesting to test the Astoria against the Enviro in the house in the dead of winter in the same spot with a T-Stat in the hallway upstairs above the stove with and without a swing setting. That would be some lugging work there! LOL

WiFi ????

Oh brother, now some hacker can control your stove remotely from a car. Be certain you have a secure WiFi setup, no wide open stuff.

I can just see the papers now,

Seventeen pellet stoves in the 4000 block on Main Street destroyed the entire block when their controls were jammed on high by a hacker last night.

Status
Not open for further replies.