Enviro Windsor Fan Cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ejectr

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 1, 2009
Brimfield, MA
Should the gasket be replaced each time the convection fan is removed for cleaning? It's one of those fuzzy type? What else can be used for a gasket on the fan sealing surface?

Ejectr said:
Should the gasket be replaced each time the convection fan is removed for cleaning? It's one of those fuzzy type? What else can be used for a gasket on the fan sealing surface?

This is the convection blower correct?

If so you can just reuse what was there if salvageable or you can substitute a window glass gasket, they are sticky on one side so it is easy to get things back together no need for three hands.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Ejectr said:

If so you can just reuse what was there if salvageable or you can substitute a window glass gasket, they are sticky on one side so it is easy to get things back together no need for three hands.
Window glass gasket?????

Ejectr said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Ejectr said:

Window glass gasket?????

Yes it is used to seat the glass in the doors or bay windows on a stove.

But one example http://www.amazon.com/Rutland-Stove-Window-Tape-93/dp/B000H5Y5JU/ref=pd_sim_hg_4

They also come in self sticking versions.

I also have a Windsor, I don't ever remember seeing a convection fan gasket? I had the whole thing apart last Fall as well, the convection fan is housed in a metal rectangle box/shield underneath the stove - is this what you are talking about?

VTrider said:
I also have a Windsor, I don't ever remember seeing a convection fan gasket? I had the whole thing apart last Fall as well, the convection fan is housed in a metal rectangle box/shield underneath the stove - is this what you are talking about?

That is why I asked for verification it was the convection fan = room fan = distribution blower that is handles the hot air going into the room not what goes out the venting.

I'm talking about the exhaust blower. Mine has a fuzzy gasket on it. Most of which stuck to the mounting surface. I get lost in the definitions sometimes.

Ahh! okay, that's what I thought! I think it's a general rule of thumb / good idea to replace these gaskets whenever you remove the adjoining pieces. I ended up replacing mine as well last Fall, but to tell you the truth this particular gasket on my Windsor (combustion) was actually in good shape and still in one piece - only reason I decided to replace it was because I replaced 'every' other gasket during this particular cleaning and I just wanted to start fresh.

If it's intact, I wouldn't think it would be a big deal to just use it again - some gaskets just fall apart when removed though and of course should then be replaced.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Ejectr said:

That would do the trick provided it is the correct thickness and can handle at least 500°F, and yes you need a new one every time you mess up the old one.

This is the exact same product I used, picked up mine from Amazon for the same price. After searching around here, found many members were using this ceramic gasket material to make their own gaskets. It's more like hard, pliable rubber, not soft and cloth-like, like the factory gasket & I had to use a good pair of shears and an exacto knife to cut it. I only used it for the gasket between the combustion housing and exhaust, this particular gasket is about 3" square, I was able to make about 4 or 5 of them for future use. Just so you know, I imagine it will be a chore to cut out that 5"-6" circular combustion gasket from this material, and you may only get 1 gasket if cutting it out of a 10x10 sheet. When factoring this in & shipping price, it was just as cheap to buy mine from my dealer.

There are other after-market products available to make gaskets, more cloth-like and you can buy it in larger sheets/rolls - I will be looking into these types of products for the future.

Nice to hear from another windsor owner I just bought one used '03 model. I love it so far, thanks for posting, great to hear about these issues, I plan on taking it appart at the end of the season to clean and check it all out. Plus you're from Brimfield, a couple of good friends live there. Take care.

Status
Not open for further replies.